The singer-songwriters Christopher Bousquet and Jacket Thor will each play a set at the Best Video Performance Space on Thursday, Sept. 11. The music starts at 8 PM and the cover is $5.
Chris Bousquet is singer-songwriter from Connecticut. He is the former leader of the internationally acclaimed High Lonesome Plains, and as well as the widely regarded Alligator Farmhouse. He has performed with such luminaries as Roger McGuinn, Miracle Legion, John Sebastian, Asleep at the Wheel, The Nields, Mark Mulcahy, The Turtles, Tim Easton, J. Geils, and Susan Cowsill.
The High Lonesome Plains rose to critical acclaim between 1999 and 2006, receiving airplay and garnering critical acclaim on four continents, Americana-UK called their 2002 EP Songs For Young Lovers, “one of the year’s best.” Rolling Stone writer and Australian DJ Stuart Coupe called it “the best thang to arrive in the mail for ages.” The lead track on the EP, “Brass Ring” was featured in the independent film The Box, the television show Witchblade and was included on 36,000 copies of a Magnet Magazine New Music Sampler.
New Haven Advocate writer Brian LaRue wrote, “Bousquet’s melodies pour out with folksy ease, his memorable choruses invite singing along, and his lyrics are smart without being show-offy.”
Jacket Thor is a folk/lo-fi/art project by Ryan Kalentkowski from central CT. Beginning in 2012, he has been releasing various recordings along with his own artwork and playing shows locally as well as on the road.
His songs are somewhat melancholy at times, which is mostly because he just really wants a mustache and he knows that he can’t have one.
• Wednesday, Sept. 3. CARIBBEAN/POP: LUKE RODNEY, FILM BY PHINEAS I. GACK
• Thursday, Sept. 4. ACOUSTIC ROCK: JAMES VELVET & THE LONESOME SPARROWS
• Friday, Sept. 5. SINGER-SONGWRITER: SABRINA TRUEHEART
• Wednesday, Sept. 10. STRING QUARTET ROCK: THE TET OFFENSIVE
• Thursday, Sept. 11. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: CHRISTOPHER BOUSQUET, JACKET THOR
• Friday, Sept. 12. CHORAL ROCK, INDIE ROCK: THE DRESS-UPS (CD RELEASE!), THE SAWTELLES
• Wednesday, Sept. 17. NEO-FOLK/RAGTIME: AMY KUCHARIK
• Thursday, Sept. 18. BLUEGRASS: RAGWEED
• Friday, Sept. 19. INDIE ROCK: EURISKO
• Wednesday, Sept. 24. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: SAMBELEZA
• Thursday, Sept. 25. JAZZ: THE ELLIGERS BROTHERS
• Friday, Sept. 26. INDIE ROCK: THE SHRINNIRS
• Wednesday, Oct. 1. SINGER-SONGWRITER: NAMOLI BRENNET
• Thursday, Oct. 2. ORIGINAL INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC/JAZZ: GEORGE LESIW BAND
• Friday, Oct. 3. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: DAPHNE LEE MARTIN, HANNAH FAIR
• Wednesday, Oct. 8. AMERICANA: GOODNIGHT BLUE MOON
• Thursday, Oct. 9. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Wednesday, Oct. 15. WINE TASTING WITH BOB FEINN of MT. CARMEL WINE & SPIRITS
• Thursday, Oct. 23. CABARET/SPOKEN WORD: RICH MORAN & FRANZ DOUSKEY
• Thursday, Oct. 30. “SONGS OF MISERY, DESPAIR & THE SUPERNATURAL”: DAVID, SHELDON AND GAIL
• Friday, Nov. 14. INDIE FOLK: OLIVE TIGER