The Danbury-based (quartet), The Red Hots are two beautiful and talented ladies who bring life back to many classic jazz standards, old blues tunes and feisty originals with their blend of unique vocals, ukelele/guitar and harmonica, mixed with driving organic percussion. Members are Cynthia Preston (guitar, vocals) Petra Herceg (ukelele, vocals) Russ Preston (guitar, vocals, harmonica) Dave Bonan (percussion).
The Red Hots band began in October of 2012 in Danbury, CT — the brainchild and collaborative effort of Petra Herceg and Cynthia Preston, two beautiful and talented ladies who grew up playing music and had both performed professionally in the past. The band began re-imagining and re-doing classic, timeless pieces of music that were beginning to be lost to the ages, particularly old blues, jazz, ragtime and rockabilly.
Mixing the retro-stylized covers in with their own eclectic sound, The Red Hots began gigging at local places around town, experimenting with their sound and musical elements. After dabbling with various instruments and line-ups, the band has solidified their image as a tight-knit trio, expanding their live performances all the way to NYC festivals and private parties at the Jersey shore, as well as becoming a well-known act in their hometown. Their adaptability has become their coup de grace, able to play anything from low key acoustic shows in wine bars and lounges, to swingin’ and jivin’ upbeat sets in bars and rock venues.
The line-up includes Petra Herceg on ukulele and vocals, Cynthia Preston on guitar and vocals and Russ Preston on blues harp and guitar. The group plays with several distinguished area musicians as guest performers on upright bass, saxophone, piano and percussion.
• Friday, Mar. 6. JAZZ: NICK DiMARIA WiRED
• Monday, Mar. 9. FILM SCREENING: “GRAN TORINO”
• Wednesday, Mar. 11. ROCK: ROPE, BOP TWEEDIE
• Friday, Mar. 13. BLUEGRASS: THE WOOL HATS STRING BAND
• Monday, Mar. 16. FILM SCREENING: “NOW, VOYAGER”
• Wednesday, Mar. 18. MODERN ROCK SPOKEN WORD SONGSTRESS/INDIE FOLK ROCK: SHADOW & COMPANY
• Thursday, Mar. 19. RAGTIME/BLUES: THE RED HOTS
• Friday, Mar. 20. ALT-COUNTRY: MERCY MEADOWS
• Monday, Mar. 23. FILM SCREENING: “UP IN THE AIR”
• Friday, Mar. 27. INDIE ROCK: PROCEDURE CLUB
• Monday. Mar. 30. FILM SCREENING: “A LATE QUARTET”
• Thursday, April 2. ROCK/POP: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Friday, April 3. AVANT-GARDE: ZERO DOLLAR
• Thursday, Apr. 9. 150th ANNIVERSARY OF APPOMATTOX/FOLK MUSIC: SHELDON CAMPBELL
• Friday, Apr. 10. ROCK: PARKER’S TANGENT
• Friday, April 17. WPKN BENEFIT
• Thursday, Apr. 23. ECLECTIC ACOUSTIC MUSIC: PRESTER JOHN featuring SHAWN PERSINGER & DAVID MILLER
• Friday, Apr. 24. BLUEGRASS: THE KOREY BRODSKY BAND
• Friday, May 1. FILM FEST: “A DARK ROOM”
• Wednesday, Aug. 26. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS