Zoo Front plays the Best Video Performance Space on Thursday, Dec. 18. Singer-songwriter Kevin MF King opens. The music starts at 8 PM and the cover is $5.
Zoo Front has been playing its quirky art punk shows since 1991 including such venues as Brass City Records (Waterbury), The Oasis and The Bank Street Cafe (New London), Best Video Performance Space (Hamden), Two Boots (Bridgeport), Neverending Books (New Haven), Javapalooza, Eli Cannon’s and Kliekolo (Middletown)as well as Oobahs, Wrench In The Works, The Annex, Willimantic Records, The Willimantic Coop and various street fests (Willimantic).
Zoo Front music has been heard on WESU, WCNI, WNHU, WECU, and, WHUS.
The band has released 4 full length albums (Warble & Trill, Betty Luna, Blunt Trauma, & Open Up Your Cage), as well as 2 EPs (Edna 14:1 and Kevin 13). Their next full length release is scheduled for the first half of 2015. Among their influences are Television, XTC, Ramones, Psychedelic Furs, Kinks, and of course, The Beatles.
Current performing members are: Ed Ekendu, Nancie Tief, and Julie Riccio.
Kevin MF King’s songs run amok with topics such as work drudgery, self-reflection, escapism, the debauchery displayed in modern politics and the process of human interaction, at times using fictional folk tales to tell a story, others just beautiful instrumentals. KMFK has more than 100 self-recorded songs regularly distributed on self-released hand-stamped cds.
• Thursday, Dec. 11. BLUEGRASS: FIVE IN THE CHAMBER
• Monday, Dec. 15. FILM SCREENING: “VISION”
• Wed., Dec. 17. HOLIDAY/NEO-SOUL: THE HUMAN RACE
• Thursday, Dec. 18. POST-PUNK: ZOO FRONT, KEVIN MF KING
• Friday, Dec. 19. ALT-COUNTRY: HEATHER FAY
• Friday, Jan. 2. INDIE ROCK: THE SAWTELLES, HANK HOFFMAN & RICHARD BROWN
• Sunday, Jan. 4. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—FOUR BY HITCHCOCK: “NOTORIOUS”
• Wednesday, Jan. 7. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: CRISTINA HARRIS, PATRICK DALTON
• Friday, Jan. 9. MUSIC FROM “TWIN PEAKS”: DR. CATERWAUL’S CADRE OF CLAIRVOYANT CLAPTRAPS
• Sunday, Jan. 11. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—FOUR BY HITCHCOCK: “STRANGERS ON A TRAIN”
• Wednesday, Jan. 14. JAZZ: JEFF FULLER & FRIENDS
• Thursday, Jan. 15. SOLO ACOUSTIC GUITAR: ROBERT MESSORE
• Friday, Jan. 16. INDIE ROCK: MERCY CHOIR
• Sunday, Jan. 18. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—FOUR BY HITCHCOCK: “REAR WINDOW”
• Sunday, Jan. 25. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—FOUR BY HITCHCOCK: “NORTH BY NORTHWEST”
• Friday, Jan. 30. JAZZ: URI SHAHAM
• Friday, Feb. 6. EXPERIMENTAL: RIVENER, LIGHT UPON BLIGHT