Shellye Valauskas is a sweet songwriter who cares for catchy rhythms and hooks. Her CD “Box It Up,” recorded with her band The Shellye Valauskas Experience, is a box of secrets, surprises and delights. By the time she formed the band, vocalist/guitarist Shellye Valauskas was an established solo performer, winning the New Haven Advocate’s Grand Band Slam readers’ poll and rating a slot in New York’s CMJ Marathon.
As her songwriting collaborator and bandmate, she enlisted ace guitarist Dean Falcone, who’s served the Connecticut music scene since the early ’80s with Jon Brion in The Excerpts, his own Dean and the Dragsters, and a host of others. Valauskas’ and Falcone’s shared love for the intelligent, heartwarming yet punchy pop of Crowded House, The Posies and Aimee Mann, as well as the burgeoning Americana movement, helped them nail a distinctive yet accessible radio-friendly sound from the start.
• Thursday, Dec. 3. ELECTRONIC: AVMUS
• Friday, Dec. 4. CLASSICAL: RAVENNA MICHALSEN & BETHANY WILDER
• Sunday, Dec. 6. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—FOUR BY STANLEY KUBRICK (“PATHS OF GLORY”)
• Wednesday, Dec. 9. JAZZ: THE THELONIOUS MONK PROJECT BAND
• Thursday, Dec. 10. BLUES/FOLK/COUNTRY: CODA BLUE
• Friday, Dec. 11. INDIE POP: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Sunday, Dec. 13. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—FOUR BY STANLEY KUBRICK (“DR. STRANGELOVE”)
• Wednesday, Dec. 16. SINGER-SONGWRITER: BRIAN DOLZANI
• Friday, Dec. 18. PSYCHO-FOLK: MILKSOP: UNSUNG
• Sunday, Dec. 20. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—FOUR BY STANLEY KUBRICK (“BARRY LYNDON”)
• Friday, Jan. 8. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Friday, Jan. 15. SPACE ROCK: LANDING, COLORGUARD
• Thursday, Jan. 28. BLUEGRASS: THE DUDLEY FARM STRING BAND
• Friday, Feb. 5. INDIE SINGER-SONGWRITER: MERCY CHOIR, PAGEANT DOVE