Our Performance Space year opened with a show by The Sawtelles on Jan. 2 and closes with a show by the same group on Wednesday, Dec. 30. The show starts at 8 PM with an opening set by Solin Luciano and the cover is $5.
The music of husband and wife duo the Sawtelles is a balance of four elements: alternate-tuned guitar, stand-up drum kit (ala Velvet Underground’s Mo Tucker) and two voices. Sparse but intricately arranged pop that is as lush as it is threadbare makes what is played as important as what isn’t. Peter plays guitar and Julie plays drums; they both sing. Their sparse but intricately arranged pop is as lush as it is captivatingly unique.
Their self-produced DYI philosophy aligns them more with the hand painted Sun Ra LP’s of 1950’s and 60’s then it does with those striving for mainstream commercial success. They have released 6 CDs.
Solin aka Pat Luciano has been on the local and extended music scene for 40+ years. Known for his versatility, he always knows how to captivate his audience. Long-time friend of producer Jon Brion (Aimee Mann, Elliott Smith), he has played with big acts such as Aimee Mann , Roger McGuinn of The Byrds, and has also both headlined and opened at Toads Place many times.
Solin is also noted for his years of performance as John Lennon in the legendary off Broadway Beatlemania. Solin still has regular appearances at Cafe Nine but has been working on a new LP soon to come. Rejoining the live music scene full time now as he begins to wrap up his newest album.
• Friday, Dec. 18. PSYCHO-FOLK: MILKSOP: UNSUNG
• Sunday, Dec. 20. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—FOUR BY STANLEY KUBRICK (“BARRY LYNDON”)
• Wednesday, Dec. 30. INDIE ROCK: THE SAWTELLES, SOLIN
• Thursday, Jan. 7. JAZZ: MICHAEL COPPOLA
• Friday, Jan. 8. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Monday, Jan. 11. OSCAR SERIES FILM SCREENING: “THE WALK”
• Thursday, Jan. 14. INDIE ROCK: JELLYSHIRTS
• Friday, Jan. 15. SPACE ROCK: LANDING, COLORGUARD
• Monday, Jan. 18. OSCAR SERIES FILM SCREENING: “STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON”
• Monday, Jan. 25. OSCAR SERIES FILM SCREENING: “PAWN SACRIFICE”
• Thursday, Jan. 28. BLUEGRASS: THE DUDLEY FARM STRING BAND
• Monday, Feb. 1. OSCAR SERIES FILM SCREENING: “EVEREST”
• Friday, Feb. 5. INDIE SINGER-SONGWRITER: MERCY CHOIR, PAGEANT DOVE
• Monday, Feb. 8. OSCAR SERIES FILM SCREENING: “SICARIO”
• Friday, Feb. 12. ROCK: HAPPY ENDING
• Monday, Feb. 15. OSCAR SERIES FILM SCREENING: “SUFFRAGETTE”
• Friday, Feb. 19. GUITARISTS/SINGER-SONGWRITERS: RANDY COLLINS, IAN ETHAN CASE
• Monday, Feb. 22. OSCAR SERIES FILM SCREENING: “99 HOMES”
• Friday, Feb. 26. INDIE ROCK: PROCEDURE CLUB
• Friday, Mar. 4. JAZZ: JOVAN ALEXANDRE
• Friday, Mar. 11. ACOUSTIC GUITAR: SHAWN PERSINGER
• Thursday, Mar. 31. SINGER-SONGWRITER: FRANK CRITELLI