Solo guitarist Glenn Roth plays Best Video Performance Space on Friday, July 21. Guitarist/songwriter Dana Merritt opens. The show starts at 8 PM and the cover is $7.
Glenn Roth is a fingerstyle guitarist, his thumb riding the bassline and the melody driving all. His compositions suggest multiple guitars, but it’s really just one guy, ten flying fingers, one instrument. All instrumental, Roth’s songs suggest moods and narratives that compel the listener to fill in the details.
Roth has released four CDs to date: Innovations (2005), Busker (2006), Into the Unknown (2010), and Welcome Home (2016). His original compositions have been hailed as “sheer virtuosity” (20th Century Guitar magazine) and “delicate, accomplished solo acoustic guitar work” (PLAY: New Haven Arts & Entertainment Weekly). Roth released a new “Another Dimension EP” in April of 2014.
Dana Merritt is a Guitarist/Singer/Songwriter from Glastonbury, Connecticut. Active since early 2013, Dana tries as hard as possible to push the limits of what can be done with nothing but a guitar and a voice. The main standpoint of their original music is to simply defy words and genre connotations.
Drawing influence from all different kinds of music, Dana has been compared to Mike Doughty, Keller Williams, Michael Hedges and St. Vincent, among countless others. Orchestral music and electronic music also heavily influence the original compositions, such as Stars of the Lid, Com Truise, Boards of Canada, Brian Eno, Lusine, Justice and hundreds more. Dana believes that music should not be boxed with words. Words and Genres should only be used when trying to communicate something intangible to somebody else, and you should never corner yourself into habits when composing original music. The result is something truly unique. Even Dana’s cover songs are heavily dissociated from their original forms. If anything is true about Dana Merritt, its that you will never know what to expect next.
Dana was signed to Fretmonkey Records out of Conway, Arkansas in March of 2016. Since then, Dana has toured across the United States and Canada with some other amazing Guitar-based artists. You can find Dana’s Debut album, Get yourself Together, to be released on Fretmonkey in early 2017.
UPCOMING EVENTS (Music events start at 8 PM unless otherwise noted; screenings start at 7 PM unless otherwise noted):
• Sunday, July 16, 2 PM. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—HOWARD HAWK’S “HIS GIRL FRIDAY” (1940)
• Wednesday, July 19. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: SAMBELEZA
• Thursday, July 20, 5:30 PM. WINE TASTING WITH BOB FEINN OF MT. CARMEL WINE & SPIRITS
• Friday, July 21. SOLO GUITAR: GLENN ROTH; SINGER-SONGWRITER: DANA MERRITT
• Saturday, July 22, 7 PM. GARAGE ROCK: DELICATE FLOWERS, DISCO TEEN ’66; FUNK ROCK: NEW AMSTERDAM NOBLES (A CAPITALH BOOKING SHOW)
• Sunday, July 23, 2 PM. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—HOWARD HAWK’S “THE BIG SLEEP” (1946)
• Wednesday, July 26. MUSIC FROM “THE SIMPSONS”: DR. CATERWAUL’S CADRES OF CLAIRVOYANT CLAPTRAPS with SPECIAL GUESTS
• Thursday, July 27. INDIE SINGER-SONGWRITER: DANIELLE CAPALBO (of QUIET GIANT), SEAN HAROLD (of THE MID SEASON)
• Friday, July 28. WORLD MUSIC: NEELA
• Sunday, July 30, 2 PM. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—HOWARD HAWK’S “RIO BRAVO” (1959)
• Wednesday, Aug. 2. JAZZ: BADSLAX
• Thursday, Aug. 3, 7:30 PM. WOMEN’S FILM SCREENING: “THE MILKY WAY”—HOSTED BY THE JCC OF GREATER NEW HAVEN FOR WORLD BREASTFEEDING WEEK (FREE)
• Friday, Aug. 4, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: HONEY DEWDROPS (GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTIONS)
• Sunday, Aug. 6, 2-5 PM. GUITARTOWNCT FREE SUNDAY AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Wednesday, Aug. 9. EXPERIMENTAL: HUMAN FLOURISHING, DAVE SCANLON, UNDERWEAR
• Thursday, Aug. 10. ALT-COUNTRY: PLYWOOD COWBOY
• Friday, Aug. 11. INDIE ROCK: LYS GUILLORN & HER BAND, ELISA FLYNN
• Wednesday, Aug. 16. INDIE ROCK: FURNSSS, TRASH CAN
• Thursday, Aug. 17. STEEL DRUM MUSIC: MIMOSA
• Fridy, Aug. 18. BEST JAZZ MINI-FESTIVAL: ALLEN LOWE & FAKE MUSIC ENSEMBLE with SPECIAL GUESTS
• Saturday, Aug. 19. BEST JAZZ MINI-FESTIVAL: ROSEMARY MINKLER TRIO; AN HISTORIC; BRIAN JARAWA GRAY
• Wednesday, Aug. 23. INDIE ROCK: ROZ & THE RICE CAKES, TEENAGE HALLOWEEN (A TINY BOX BOOKING SHOW)
• Thursday, Aug. 24. ROCK/JAZZ/SOUL: JOE STEIN; INDIE ROCK: ALEX MCGUIRE
• Friday, Aug. 25. POP ROCK: OBERON ROSE
• Tuesday, Aug. 29. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Thursday, Aug. 31. INDIE ROCK: DISCO TEEN ’66
• Friday, Sept. 8. INDIE ROCK: THE SAWTELLES
Thursday, Sept. 14. ACOUSTIC SOUL: CHRISSY GARDNER & ROBERT MESSORE
• Friday, Sept. 15, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: ROB ICKES & TREY HENSLEY (GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTIONS)
• Saturday, Sept. 16, 8 PM. EXPERIMENTAL/DRONE: GARDENER, LANDING
• Wednesday, Sept. 20. BLUEGRASS: BAIT AND SWITCH
• Friday, Sept. 22. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Friday, Sept. 29. FOLK: FLINT LADDER
• Saturday, Sept. 30. SINGER-SONGWRITER: JOHN GORKA (ODDBALL PRODUCTIONS)
• Friday, Oct. 6. INDIE ROCK/SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Friday, Oct. 13. FLASH FICTION: PAUL BECKMAN
• Friday, Oct. 20. BLUEGRASS: MISSY RAINES & THE NEW HIP (GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTIONS)
• Thursday, Nov. 16, 7 PM. BLUEGRASS: TIM O’BRIEN (SOLD OUT!)