Branford-based photographer Sean Kernan screens his documentary “Crow Stories” at Best Video Film & Cultural Center on Monday, Jan. 30. The event starts at 7 PM and admission is $7.
“Crow Stories” is a unique immersion into the world of the Crow Indians. The film is all experience – of hunting buffalo in the Bighorn Mountains, of Sundancers rehearsing in a nighttime meadow, of the fierce intra-tribal battles of the Handgame.
The long journey began with a surprising call. Come spend a week on the Crow Reservation in Montana. Wander around, make pictures of whatever you like..
So a door opened, and for the next six years Sean Kernan went back and back to the ancestral lands of the Crow along the Little Bighorn River, in all weathers and seasons. Photographing, filming, and recording the land, the people, and the life that he found there.
Mervin White talks about the place of the horse in the tribe’s culture, and we follow a herd as it gallops across the high pastures while poet Henry Realbird sings his Rivers of Horse. Kevin Dust recalls the unexpected audition that led to 20 years in the Wild West show at Disneyland Paris. Rising star rapper Superman offers his Prayer.
There’s a poignant moment when Etting Little Owl sings a song just for the filmmaker… and his camera. Joe Medicine Crow, the last War Chief, tells how to live a balanced life. Where else could we find such wisdom?
And once again Custer comes to a bad end, as he does every year in the re-enactment right where his famous Last Stand took place.
During six years of filming, people unfolded their thoughts and lives, and Kernan’s work was simply to listen. “I was given the enormous gift of a sojourn far out beyond my usual world. Now all I want is to pass this gift along to anyone who would like to travel there with me.” And who wouldn’t.
Sean Kernan is a widely exhibited, photographer, writer and pioneering teacher. He is the author of three monographs: The Secret Books (with Jorge Louis Borges), Among Trees (with Anthony Doerr), and Darrell Petit: In Stone. His explorations of creativity and photography have been published as Looking Into the Light: Creativity and the Photographer.
He has produced two film documentaries: “The Kampala Boxing Club,” about boxing in Africa, and “Crow Stories,” about the Crow Tribe in Montana.
• Wednesday, Jan. 18. POSTMODERN JAZZ STANDARDS: MÉLANGE À TROIS
• Thursday, Jan. 19. GOTH/SHOEGAZE: TELEGRAM SCAM, MY TWO DADS (AARON SNOW, KRYSSI BATTALENE, DARON GARDNER)
• Friday, Jan. 20. BLUEGRASS: THE PAGE TURNERS (A GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTION)
• Thursday, Jan. 26. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: THE BOSSA NOVA PROJECT
• Friday, Jan. 27. ROOTS ROCK: BRONSON ROCK
• Saturday, Jan. 28. FILM SCREENING FOR KIDS: “MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO” (Sponsored by Pediatrics Plus of North Haven)
• Monday, Jan. 30. FILM SCREENING: SEAN KERNAN’S “CROW STORIES”
• Wednesday, Feb. 1. JAZZ OF OUR GENERATION: JEFF FULLER & TONY LOMBARDOZZI & BARRY REIS
• Friday, Feb. 3. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Sunday, Feb. 5. FREE FIRST SUNDAY AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM HOSTED BY GUITARTOWNCT
• Tuesday, Feb. 7. FILM SERIES SCREENING: “LOVING”
• Wednesday, Feb. 8. BLUEGRASS: BAIT AND SWITCH
• Thursday, Feb. 9. INDIE ROCK: JELLYSHIRTS
• Friday, Feb. 10. ROCK: HAPPY ENDING, MERCY CHOIR (solo)
• Monday, Feb. 13. FILM SERIES SCREENING: “BIRTH OF A NATION”
• Thursday, Feb. 16. ALT-COUNTRY/ROCK: NO LINE NORTH
• Friday, Feb. 17. SINGER-SONGWRITER: ALEX BLAIR
• Monday, Feb. 20. FILM SERIES SCREENING: “ARRIVAL”
• Wednesday, Feb. 22. JAZZ: THE PAUL SHANLEY QUARTET
• Thursday, Feb. 23. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: SAMBELEZA
• Friday, Feb. 24. INDIE POP: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Saturday, Feb. 25. PROTEST MUSIC CABARET: “SHALL WE TALK ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT?”
• Sunday, Feb. 26. “AND THE AWARD GOES TO…”: BVFCC OSCAR AWARDS BRUNCH/FUNDRAISER 4-6 PM
• Monday, Feb. 27. FILM SERIES SCREENING: “ELLE”
• Saturday, Mar. 4. CULT FILM SCREENING: TBA
• Monday, Mar. 6. FILM SERIES SCREENING: “MANCHESTER BY THE SEA”
• Saturday, Mar. 11. JAZZ: THE FAKE MUSIC ENSEMBLE PLAYS “BLACK, BROWN AND BEIGE; YELLOW, TRANS AND QUEER: MY COUNTRY ‘TIS OF THIS (A PROTEST SUITE COMPOSED BY ALLEN LOWE)
• Monday, Mar. 13. FILM SERIES SCREENING: “MOONLIGHT”
• Thursday, Mar. 16. SINGER-SONGWRITER: SETH ADAM, KATHY MUIR
Friday, Mar. 17. INDIE ROCK: DISCO TEEN 66
• Wednesday, Mar. 22. CLASSICAL: 4-3-2-1: A EUPHONIUM AND FRIENDS PRODUCTION
• Friday, Mar. 24. SOLO GUITAR: GLENN ROTH; SINGER-SONGWRITER: BELLE OF THE FALL
• Saturday, Mar. 25. JAZZ: : THE FAKE MUSIC ENSEMBLE PLAYS “BLACK, BROWN AND BEIGE; YELLOW, TRANS AND QUEER: MY COUNTRY ‘TIS OF THIS (A PROTEST SUITE COMPOSED BY ALLEN LOWE)
• Wednesday, Mar. 29. SINGER-SONGWRITER: LAMONT
• Saturday, Apr. 1. CULT FILM SCREENING: TBA
• Saturday, Apr. 8. CLASSICAL GUITAR: MAX LYMAN; AMERICAN PRIMITIVE GUITAR: ALEXANDER
• Friday, Apr. 21. POP: THE DRESS-UPS
• Friday, Apr. 28. BLUEGRASS: THE SLOCAN RAMBLERS (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Friday, May 12. SINGER-SONGWRITER: SHAWN TAYLOR & WANDERING ROOTS (CD Release)
• Saturday, May 6. CULT FILM SCREENING: TBA