Best Video Performance Space, at the suggestion of one of our Best Video members, will screen the 2010 documentary “Hey, Boo: Harper Lee & ‘To Kill a Mockingbird'” on Monday, May 18. The event starts at 7 PM and admission is $5. Harper Lee’s new (and only her second) novel (albeit written in the 1950s) “Go Set a Watchman” will be published this coming July.
Published in 1960, Harper Lee’s novel “To Kill a Mockingbird” became an instant classic, a perennial in the school curriculum for young adults. Based loosely on people and events from Lee’s life in Alabama in the 1930s, the book deals powerfully and with deep feeling on racism, rape and the unfairness of the justice system in the South during the segregation years.
The book’s reputation was further cemented when it was adapted for the screen by screenwriter Horton Foote and director Robert Mulligan with Gregory Peck starring as attorney Atticus Finch. Peck garnered an Oscar for his performance.
Mary McDonagh Murphy has probed the enduring power of “To Kill a Mockingbird” both in her book “Scout, Atticus & Boo: A Celebration of To Kill a Mockingbird” and the documentary “Hey, Boo: Harper Lee & ‘To Kill a Mockingbird.'” For the movie, Murphy interviewed a number of authors—Wally Lamb, Scott Turow—about the book as well as people close to Lee who have not previously spoken on camera before—the author’s older sister Alice Finch Lee and Harper Lee’s friends Michael and Joy Brown, whose financial assistance allowed Lee to quit her job and write full time on “To Kill a Mockingbird.”
• Wednesday, May 13. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: BIG FAT COMBO
• Thursday, May 14. INDIE ROCK: THE SAWTELLES
• Friday, May 15. ALT-COUNTRY: HEATHER FAY
• Monday, May 18. FILM SCREENING: “HEY BOO: HARPER LEE & TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD”
• Wednesday, May 20. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: JAY PRINCE, PATRICK DALTON
• Thursday, May 21. INDIE ROCK: JELLYSHIRTS
• Friday, May 22. ROCK: NOTHING SPECIAL
• Wednesday, May 27. BLUEGRASS: THE FIDDLEHEADS
• Thursday, May 28. SINGER-SONGWRITER; ACOUSTIC GUITARIST: SETH ADAM; GLENN ROTH
• Friday, May 29. SINGER-SONGWRITER: SABRINA TRUEHEART
• Thursday, June 4. AVANT-GARDE: ZERO DOLLAR, PARLAY DRONER
• Friday, June 5. STRING QUARTET ROCK: THE TET OFFENSIVE
• Monday, June 8. FILM SCREENING: “FINDING TATANKA”
• Wednesday, June 10. SINGER-SONGWRITER: KATH BLOOM, DAN GREENE
• Thursday, June 11. ECLECTIC ACOUSTIC: DR. CATERWAUL’S CADRE OF CLAIRVOYANT CLAPTRAPS & THE CYGNET SISTERS
• Friday, June 12. BLUEGRASS: THE WOOL HATS STRING BAND
• Thursday, June 18: SILENT FILM with MUSIC: LIGHT UPON BLIGHT scores “THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI”
• Friday, June 26. INDIE FOLK: OLIVE TIGER
• Friday, July 17. PIANO POP/PAINTING: POCKET VINYL
• Wednesday, Aug. 26. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS