Jewish Community Center of Greater New Haven and Best Video Film & Cultural Center present a screening of the 2010 film “Sarah’s Key” as part of the Beckerman Jewish Film Series. The screening takes place at BVFCC on Monday, May 16, at 7 PM. Admission is $7 ($5 for JCC members). Best Video founder Hank Paper will introduce the film and lead the optional post film talk-back.
In 2002 Paris an American journalist, assigned to write a story about France’s then little–known round-up of Jews in ’42, makes a startling discovery in her father-in-law’s childhood apartment that draws her into unraveling the mystery of a ten-year-old’s truly amazing story sixty years earlier.
This film about family secrets and the comfort of strangers, offers a multi-award winning performance by the non-pareil Kirsten Scott Thomas – with Aidan Quinn and Melusine Mayance as Sarah, whose story will defy your beliefs, raise your spirits, and hold you spellbound to the final minutes.
• Wednesday, May 11. FILM SCREENING: BRIAN ROBINSON PRESENTS “THE APPLE”
• Friday, May 13. THREE SONGWRITERS IN THE ROUND: ANNE MARIE MENTA, DICK NEAL, GLEN ROETHEL
• Saturday, May 14. FILM SCREENING/WINE & CHEESE TASTING: VINO/NOIR
• Monday, May 16. FILM SCREENING: “SARAH’S KEY” (in partnership with the Jewish Community Center of New Haven)
• Wednesday, May 18. BLUES: CODA BLUE
• Thursday, May 19. EXPERIMENTAL: RIVENER, CRETELLA|PAOLUCCI DUO, ID M THEFT ABLE & FLANDREW FLEISENBERG
• Friday, May 20. JAZZ VOCALS & GUITAR: LINDA SATIN & JOE CARTER
• Thursday, May 26. EXPERIMENTAL: ELECTRONHIC
• Friday, May 27. ACOUSTIC ROCK: THE BIRDMEN
• Thursday, June 2. HALFWAY TO GUITAR NIGHT: SHAWN PERSINGER, NANCY TUCKER, NORMAN PLNKEY, ROBERT MESSORE
• Friday, June 3. SINGER-SONGWRITER: SHAWN TAYLOR
• Thursday, June 9. CABARET/SINATRA: RICH MORAN & FRANZ DOUSKEY
• Thursday, June 16. CHRISTOPHER ARNOTT & LYS GUILLORN CELEBRATE BLOOMSDAY
• Friday, June 24. SOLO GUITAR: GLENN ROTH, ALT-COUNTRY: LINES WEST
• Thursday, June 30. SINGER-SONGWRITER: EUGENE GALLAGHER, QUINN HARLEY
• Friday, July 1. POST-PUNK: TELEGRAM SCAM
• Friday, July 29. ART-ROCK: FE FI FO
• Friday, Aug. 5. INDIE ROCK: THE LYS GUILLORN BAND, EARTHLINGS
• Tuesday, Aug. 30. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Saturday, Oct. 8. THE NEW ENGLAND UNDERGROUND FILM FESTIVAL