Best Video Performance Space will screen the John Frankenheimer movie “Seven Days in May” on Thursday, Nov. 20. The program starts at 7 PM and the cover is $5. Christopher Sharrett, a Professor of Film Studies at Seton Hall University will introduce and discuss the film.
“Seven Days In May” is a historic, perhaps prophetic film. John Frankenheimer adapted the popular novel by Fletcher Knebel and John W. Bailey at the suggestion of his friend, President John F. Kennedy, who felt that after the failed Bay of Pigs operation to invade Cuba, and the subsequent Cuban Missile Crisis,that a coup against the government was a possibility.
In Frankenheimer’s film, Frederic March plays a president targeted for removal from office by a Pentagon clique because he is seen as “soft on Communism,” a description applied to Kennedy in right-wing circles at the height of the Cold War. Chillingly, a month before his assassination, columnist Arthur Krock wrote a piece for the New York Times called “The Intra-Administration War”, stating outright that a coup by the CIA was a real possibility.
On this, the 51st anniversary of the JFK assassination, “Seven Days in May” looks prescient indeed. With Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Ava Gardner, Frederic March, Martin Balsam.”
Christopher Sharrett is Professor of Film Studies at Seton Hall University. He has published several books on film, including Mythologies of Violence in Postmodern Media, and The Rifleman. He is a Contributing Writer for Cineaste and Film International. He is on the editorial board of Quarterly Review of Film and Video. He has lived in Hamden for 28 years, and is a Best Video loyalist!
• Tuesday, Nov. 11. TRIBUTE TO FRANK SINATRA: FRANZ DOUSKEY & RICH MORAN, JR.
• Wednesday, Nov. 12. JAZZ: DAVID CHEVAN & WARREN BYRD
• Thursday, Nov. 13. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: FRANK CRITELLI, JASON PRINCE
• Friday, Nov. 14. INDIE FOLK: OLIVE TIGER
• Monday, Nov. 17. FILM SCREENING: “I CONFESS”
• Wednesday, Nov. 19. SONGWRITERS’ CIRCLE: MARK MIRANDO, DICK NEAL, LAURA JOY
• Thursday, Nov. 20. FILM SCREENING: “SEVEN DAYS IN MAY”
• Friday, Nov. 21. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: BECKY KESSLER (Violent Mae), SAM PERDUTA (Elison Jackson)
• Monday, Nov. 24. FILM SCREENING: “BABETTE’S FEAST”
• Friday, Nov. 28. PSYCHO-FOLK: MILKSOP: UNSUNG
• Monday, Dec. 1. FILM SCREENING: “DOUBT”
• Thursday, Dec. 4. JAZZ: REBECCA ABBOTT
• Friday, Dec. 5. ACOUSTIC ROCK: THE LONESOME SPARROWS
• Monday, Dec. 8. FILM SCREENING: “THE END OF THE AFFAIR”
• Thursday, Dec. 11. BLUEGRASS: FIVE IN THE CHAMBER
• Monday, Dec. 15. FILM SCREENING: “VISION”
• Thursday, Dec. 18. POST-PUNK: ZOO FRONT, KEVIN MF KING
• Friday, Dec. 19. ALT-COUNTRY: HEATHER FAY
• Friday, Jan. 9. MUSIC FROM “TWIN PEAKS”: DR. CATERWAUL’S CADRE OF CLAIRVOYANT CLAPTRAPS
• Wednesday, Jan. 14. JAZZ: JEFF FULLER & FRIENDS