The latest film series in collaboration with Temple Beth Sholom wraps up Monday, Mar. 30, at 7 PM with the 2012 movie “A Late Quartet,” starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Christopher Walken and Catherine Keener. “Found Horizons: Changes and Choices in Mid-Life” features powerful films in which the protagonists face stark mid-life choices. As has been our practice, each screening begins with a short, context-setting introduction and is followed by an optional discussion.
Each screening begins at 7 PM. The cost for each movie is $5 and reservations are encouraged. The series is co-sponsored by Temple Beth Sholom Adult Education.
“A Late Quartet” one of Best Video owner Hank Paper’s favorite films of the last couple of years. Featuring rapturous music and bravura acting (including Philip Seymour Hoffman, Catherine Keener, and Christopher Walken in a completely involving “straight” role), this dramatic film portrays a classical string quartet, approaching its 25th anniversary recital, that suddenly finds itself struggling to stay together in the face of long suppressed emotions, competing egos and uncontrollable lust. It’s what movies are all about!
• Thursday, Mar. 26. ROCK: LA TUNDA
• Friday, Mar. 27. INDIE ROCK: PROCEDURE CLUB
• Monday. Mar. 30. FILM SCREENING: “A LATE QUARTET”
• Thursday, April 2. ROCK/POP: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Friday, Apr. 3. AVANT-GARDE: FUCHSPRELLEN
• Wednesday, Apr. 8. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Thursday, Apr. 9. 150th ANNIVERSARY OF APPOMATTOX/FOLK MUSIC: SHELDON CAMPBELL
• Friday, Apr. 10. ROCK: PARKER’S TANGENT
• Friday, April 17. WPKN BENEFIT
• Wednesday, Apr. 22. AMERICANA/ROOTS: THE HELLWIGS
• Thursday, Apr. 23. ECLECTIC ACOUSTIC MUSIC: PRESTER JOHN featuring SHAWN PERSINGER & DAVID MILLER
• Friday, Apr. 24. BLUEGRASS: THE KOREY BRODSKY BAND
• Thursday, Apr. 30. INDIE ROCK: loom
• Friday, May 1. FILM FEST: “A DARK ROOM”
• Friday, May 15. ALT-COUNTRY: HEATHER FAY
• Wednesday, Aug. 26. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS