Best Video Film & Cultural Center returns with its monthly trivia night, Trivia 237 (or “T-237” for those dystopian future-minded folk) on Monday, Jan. 7. The event starts at 7:30 PM and admission is a suggested donation of $5.
Trivia 237—named after the infamous Hotel Stanley room in “The Shining”—is the brainchild of BVFCC barista Lena Olive and her husband Paul Reese. Lena and Paul, the creators and executive producers, also host the event and write the questions.
Trivia 237 is a team trivia event comprised of four rounds of quizzing with ten questions per round, for a total of forty questions. Questions cover a wide range of cinema-related (and “cinema-adjacent”) material: film facts, box office statistics, store facts, film score, television, reviews, among others.
No portable electronic devices of any kind may be used during gameplay under any circumstances. Competitors may not shout out answers during gameplay, attempt to look at answer sheets of other teams, or approach the executive producers’ table during gameplay. If a team is suspected of violating any of these rules, the executive producers reserve the right to disqualify the entire team for the individual round in which the offense occurred or the entire competition. Teams will be limited to a six-player maximum to allow as many people as possible to participate.
Teams write their answers on a prepared form provided by BVFCC. Answers must be written legibly in English. The executive producers reserve the right to disqualify any answers they judge to be too illegible to be considered correct.
Where proper names of film/tv/musics are concerned, a correct answer requires that the full name be given. For example, if the correct answer is Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas, an answer of “The Grinch” is marked incorrect. In the case of people, giving the last name is acceptable except in cases where there are multiple people with the same last name and the intent is unclear. For example, if the correct answer is “Kevin Smith,” an answer of “Smith” is not specific enough and marked incorrect. But, if the correct answer is “Martin Scorsese,” a response of “Scorsese” is considered correct.
Each question will be worth one point, with any extra credit questions being worth an additional point. Scoring points for extra credit questions requires answering the base question correctly in order to be eligible.
Every team has one joker to use. The Joker, when used, allows a team to double the total points earned in a round. Jokers do not double extra credit points. After a team writes all of their answers down, if they wish to use their joker, they must write “JOKER” in large, unmistakable print on their answer sheet before it is turned in for scoring. The Joker may only be used once.
After all questions are asked in a round, teams are allowed one minute to complete their answer sheets and submit them to the executive producers for scoring. Any late answer sheets will not be scored and the team will score zero points for the round. Cumulative totals of all teams will then be read before the next round begins.
After all rounds are scored, the team with the highest overall score is declared the winner. All scoring, as decided by the executive producers, is final.
Bring your friends and test your knowledge of film trivia at Trivia 237. T-237 will be held the first Monday of each month unless holidays or other reasons for shifting the date intrude.
UPCOMING EVENTS (Music events start at 8 PM unless otherwise noted; screenings start at 7 PM unless otherwise noted):
• Wednesday, Jan. 2. AMBIENT/INDIE ROCK: THE FOREST ROOM, BEN HECHT, EVELYN GARY (Rescheduled from November 15)
• Friday, Jan. 4. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: THE SPARKOMATICS, THE TOMMYS
• Saturday, Jan. 5, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: NATE SABAT/MARK KILIANSKI DUO; DAVID SASSO/KAT WALLACE DUO (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Sunday, Jan. 6. GUITARTOWNCT SUNDAY AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Tuesday, Jan. 8, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: THE ELM CITY RAMBLERS
• Wednesday, Jan. 9, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY OPEN MIC
• Thursday, Jan. 10. EXPERIMENTAL: KRISTINA WARREN, UNDERWEAR, ANNE RHODES
• Monday, Jan. 14. ONE MAN SHOW: SAL ANNUNZIATO—PART OF THE FAMILY: A MOB CHILDHOOD (SOLD OUT!)
• Tuesday, Jan. 15, 8 PM. REEL LIFE—A STAND-UP COMEDY SHOW HOSTED BY KENDRA DAWSEY
• Wednesday, Jan. 16. POP/ROCK: YOUTH XL, ROB NELSON
• Friday, Jan. 18. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: THE FURORS
• Sunday, Jan. 20, 2-4 PM. IRISH/CELTIC MUSIC JAM
• Monday, Jan. 21, 6-9 PM. GUITARTOWNCT MONTHLY EVENING BLUEGRASS JAM
• Friday, Jan. 25. ACOUSTIC ROCK: THE BIRDMEN
• Monday, Jan. 28, 7 PM. FILM SCREENING: NH DOCS—THE NEW HAVEN DOCUMENTARY FILM FESTIVAL & BVFCC PRESENT “TRAVEL LIGHT” with director LINDSAY THOMPSON
• Tuesday, Jan. 29, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: THE BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Thursday, Jan. 31. JAZZ: PAUL SHANLEY
• Sunday, Feb. 3. GUITARTOWN SUNDAY AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Monday, Feb. 4. MONTHLY MOVIE-RELATED TRIVIA NIGHT: TRIVIA-237
• Thursday, Feb. 7. INDIE FOLK: PODUNK THROWBACKS; Klezmer: KLEZMER FUSION COLLECTIVE
• Friday, Feb. 8. ROCK: HAPPY ENDING
• Tuesday, Feb. 12, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: MILE TWELVE (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Wednesday, Feb. 13. SECOND WEDNESDAY OPEN MIC
• Friday, Feb. 15. BRAZILIAN JAZZ: SAMBELEZA (REUNION!)
• Sunday, Feb. 17, 2-4 PM. IRISH/CELTIC MUSIC JAM
• Monday, Feb. 18, 6-9 PM. GUITARTOWNCT MONTHLY EVENING BLUEGRASS JAM
• Tuesday, Feb. 19, 8 PM. REEL LIFE—A STAND-UP COMEDY SHOW HOSTED BY KENDRA DAWSEY
• Friday, Feb. 22. BLUEGRASS: FIVE IN THE CHAMBER
• Saturday, Mar. 2. INDIE POP ROCK: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Sunday, Mar. 3. GUITARTOWN SUNDAY AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Monday, Mar. 4. MONTHLY MOVIE-RELATED TRIVIA NIGHT: TRIVIA-237
• Tuesday, Mar. 5, 7 PM. LITERARY: A READING FOR AL-MUTANABBI STREET—DAISY C. ABREU & STEPHEN VINCENT KOBASA
• Wednesday, Mar. 6. IMPROVISED MUSIC: LIGHT UPON BLIGHT
• Thursday, Mar. 7. ROCK/PUNK/ROOTS: THE CHRISTIAN MARRONE TRIO; INDIE: GHOSTWOODS
• Friday, Mar. 8. INDIE ROCK: PHEOBE
• Wednesday, Mar. 13. SECOND WEDNESDAY OPEN MIC
• Friday, Mar. 15. BLUES/ROCK: VANGE DURST
• Sunday, Mar. 17, 2-4 PM. IRISH/CELTIC MUSIC JAM
• Monday, Mar. 18, 6-9 PM. GUITARTOWNCT MONTHLY EVENING BLUEGRASS JAM
• Tuesday, Mar. 19, 8 PM. REEL LIFE—A STAND-UP COMEDY SHOW HOSTED BY KENDRA DAWSEY
• Tuesday, Mar. 26, 7:30 PM. POETRY READING: CONNECTICUT POETRY SOCIETY
• Friday, Mar. 29. AMERICANA: RIVER RUN
• Friday, Apr. 5. SONGWRITERS IN THE ROUND: ANNE MARIE MENTA, LYS GUILLORN, SHELLYE VALAUSKAS, KIERSTIN SIESER
• Friday, Apr. 12, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: DALE ANN BRADLEY & JIM HURST (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Wednesday, April 17. ACOUSTIC FOLK ROCK: PAUL DECOSTER, EXPERIMENTAL ACOUSTIC: KAREN HOGG
• Tuesday, May 7, 7:30 PM. FILM SCREENING: “THE VILLAGE”
• Friday, May 24. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Thursday, May 30. IMPROVISED MUSIC: URS LEIMGRUBER, ADAM MATLOCK
• Tuesday, June 25, 7:30 PM. POETRY READING: CONNECTICUT POETRY SOCIETY
• Friday, Aug. 16, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: PHILLIPS, GRIER & FLINNER (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)