Jazz vocalist Linda Satin performs at Best Video Performance Space on Friday, June 2. Satin will be accompanied by Joe Carter on guitar and Tim Moran on reeds. The show starts at 8 PM and the cover is $10.
Linda Satin has been singing on and off her whole life. She grew up hearing her dad’s recordings of Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett. In high school Linda studied piano with John Mehegan and got her first taste of singing in front of an audience at the Villanova Bar and Grill in Westport, CT with John Mehagan’s quartet, which featured Gerry Mulligan. She was 17 years old. She has studied voice for many years with jazz pianist Connie Crothers, and is a recording artist on the jazz label, New Artists Records.
Satin’s CD “The Way I Am” was recorded under the New Artists label in 2000. She has sung at Birdland and other venues in the New York metropolitan area.
Having performed in such diverse places as Rio de Janeiro, Curitiba and Recife in Brazil, Bombay, Goa and Bangalore in India, Trossingen and Stuttgart in Germany, plus Paris and Corsica in France, guitarist Joe Carter has used these experiences to form a sound and style that is rooted in Mainstream Jazz but flavored with the lyrical and rhythmical aspects of all the places he’s played, recorded and taught.
Joe Carter is currently the Director of the Academic Music Program at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, CT.
Tim Moran is widely acclaimed as an innovative jazz musician on saxophone, flute and clarinet. He has performed in Europe, Japan and throughout the United States and Canada. In collaboration with percussionist Tony Vacca, he has released 5 CD’s, including “Dance Beneath the Diamond Sky” on Columbia Records. He has also recorded with legendary trumpeter Don Cherry, West African musicians Foday Musa Suso and Massamba Diop, the New England Jazz Quintet and Samba Brazil. He has backed up such artists as Ella Fitzgerald, Gerry Mulligan, Freddie Hubbard and Phil Woods. Tim works frequently in pit orchestras for the national touring companies of Broadway musicals and has performed with The New Haven Symphony Orchestra and Orchestra New England.
UPCOMING EVENTS (Music events start at 8 PM unless otherwise noted; screenings start at 7 PM unless otherwise noted):
• Friday, May 19. INDIE ROCK: LA TUNDA, LYS GUILLORN (solo)
• Sunday, May 21, 3 PM. LIGHTS! FILMMAKING WORKSHOP FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: LIGHTS
• Wednesday, May 24. NEW ORLEANS FUNK: BAND OF DRUTHERS
• Thursday, May 25. DR. CATERWAUL’S CADRE OF CLAIRVOYANT PLAYS MUSIC FROM “TWIN PEAKS”
• Friday, May 26, 7:30 PM. INDIE ROCK: WALLY
• Thursday, June 1. INDIE ROCK: IF JESUS HAD MACHINE GUNS
• Friday, June 2. JAZZ VOCAL: LINDA SATIN WITH JOE CARTER & TIM MORAN
• Sunday, June 4, 3 PM. CAMERA! ACTION! FILMMAKING WORKSHOP FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: LIGHTS
• Wednesday, June 7. ALT-COUNTRY: LEFT ON SCARLET STREET, SINGER-SONGWRITER: RON SPEARS
• Thursday, June 8. WORLD MUSIC: ELEGANT PRIMATES
• Friday, June 9. ALT-COUNTRY: PAT STONE, BOX OF BIRDS, THE PROUD FLESH
• Saturday, June 10. JAZZ: ALLEN LOWE
• Sunday, June 11. 2-5 PM. GUITARTOWNCT FREE AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Wednesday, June 14. INIDIE ROCK: SPIT-TAKE
• Thursday, June 15. SINGER-SONGWRITER: DAVID BROOKS (OF THE STREAMS)
• Friday, June 16, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: MILE TWELVE (GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTIONS)
• Wednesday, June 21. PROGRESSIVE FOLK: FE FI FO, SINGER-SONGWRITER: KRIZTA MOON
• Thursday, June 22. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND; CONTEMPORARY CLASSICAL MUSIC: THE CHRIS CHILDS TRIO
• Friday, June 23. CHAMBER ROCK: THE TET OFFENSIVE
• Wednesday, June 28. ELECTRO-ACOUSTIC IMPROVISATION: NOAH & DAVID CHEVAN
• Thursday, June 29. POST-MODERN JAZZ/VOCALS: MÉLANGE À TROIS
• Friday, June 30. BLUEGRASS: THE DUDLEY FARMS STRING BAND
• Friday, July 7. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: THE RIGHT OFFS
• Friday, July 14. ROCK: ROPE
• Friday, July 21. SOLO GUITAR: GLENN ROTH; SINGER-SONGWRITER: DANA MERRITT
• Wednesday, July 26. MUSIC FROM “THE SIMPSONS”: DR. CATERWAUL’S CADRES OF CLAIRVOYANT CLAPTRAPS with SPECIAL GUESTS
• Friday, July 28. WORLD MUSIC: NEELA
• Wednesday, Aug. 2. JAZZ: BADSLAX
• Wednesday, Aug. 9. EXPERIMENTAL: HUMAN FLOURISHING
• Friday, Aug. 4, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: HONEY DEWDROPS (GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTIONS)
• Friday, Aug. 11. INDIE ROCK: LYS GUILLORN & HER BAND
• Friday, Aug. 25. POP ROCK: OBERON ROSE
• Friday, Sept. 8. INDIE ROCK: THE SAWTELLES
• Friday, Sept. 15, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: ROB ICKES & TREY HENSLEY (GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTIONS)
• Friday, Sept. 22. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Saturday, Sept. 30. SINGER-SONGWRITER: JOHN GORKA (ODDBALL PRODUCTIONS)
• Friday, Oct. 20. BLUEGRASS: MISSY RAINES & THE NEW HIP (GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTIONS)
• Thursday, Nov. 16, 7 PM. BLUEGRASS: TIM O’BRIEN