One Yale grad student, one Yale educated architect, and four contractors with high school diplomas sounds like an unpredictable mix. Experienced pickers all, their shared love of bluegrass and wide ranging musical tastes make for an entertaining live show.
Ragweed is a bluegrass band loosely based in New Haven County. Band members are Amanda Gregg (mandolin), Vicky Su (fiddle), Bob Boettger (bass), Chris Wuerth (guitar), Jon Wuerth (guitar) and Paul Neri (banjo). All six members sing, but usually not all at the same time. They began in 2007 as a barn band. Not happy being stuck in barns, they began performing live at venues around the state, and quickly realized they loved performing. Among their many influences are Tim O’Brien, John Hartford, Tony Rice, and Bill Monroe. Traditional bluegrass, old country, fiddle tunes, and attempts at humor, are all part of their repertoire.
UPCOMING PERFORMANCE SPACE EVENTS:
• Wednesday, Sept. 25. BLUEGRASS: RAGWEED
• Thursday, Sept. 26. CARIBBEAN MUSIC: LUKE RODNEY
• Wednesday, Oct. 9. ACOUSTIC CLASSIC ROCK: HENRY SIDLE
• Thursday, Oct. 10. GARAGE SOUL: BRONSON ROCK
• Wednesday, Oct. 16. ACOUSTIC ROCK: JAMES VELVET & THE LONESOME SPARROWS
• Thursday, Oct. 17. INDIE ROCK: ZOO FRONT
• Wednesday, Oct. 23. CLASSICAL: RAVENNA MICHALSEN & ALEXANDER SMITH
• Thursday, Oct. 24. INDIE ROCK: THE STREAMS
Wednesday, Oct. 30. NEW WAVE LEGENDS: THE FURORS
• Wednesday, Nov. 6. SINGER-SONGWRITER: ESTHER GOLTON