Daniel Bachman, a master of American Primitive guitar playing, performs at Best Video Performance Space on Wednesday, Nov. 23. The show starts at 7:30 PM and the cover is $8. Tickets are available online through Brown Paper Tickets or at Best Video Film & Cultural Center. Alexander opens.
“One of modern guitar’s most dynamic performers” returns for his second ever show in Connecticut. Daniel will be touring on his self-titled LP from Three Lobed Recordings. A true fingerstyle guitar/musical genius.
Bachman’s newest, self-titled release was previewed at the beginning of the month on their “First Listen” web page. Lars Gotrich writes, “At 26, Bachman is already an established and thoughtful voice in the solo guitar music scene, but he knows that evolution comes in steps, not leaps. Several albums in, Bachman has gone the self-titled route; it feels less like a chest-beating announcement and more like a wordless confirmation of where he’s at as a musician — and perhaps even as a person.”
From the Web site of Bachman’s label, Three Lobed Recordings:
Guitarist and former wunderkind Daniel Bachman, at 26, can no longer be considered precocious. On even his earliest recordings, released under the moniker sacred harp, Bachmans guitar prowess and compositional voice were staggeringly mature. There was something refreshingly novel about a guitarist not old enough to vote possessing such clarity of vision. But novelty wears off, and even the most big-eared benefactors are likely to become fickle and disinterested over time; the fans who do happen to stick around may begin to hold you to impossibly higher standards after all, youre not a kid anymore.
And so it is a pleasure to hear Bachman, with his new self-titled album, so confidently answer the bell with an album that serves as both riposte and reckoning. If you’re not with Bachman now, the album seems to declare, you never were.
Alexander is the acoustic performing monicker of David Shapiro. Shapiro plays electric guitar as Lituya Bay and also plays drums with Stefan Christensen & Friends.
• Friday, Nov. 18. PARTY PUNK: TINY BOX BOOKING presents POSTURE & THE GRIZZLY, PRINCE DADDY & THE HYENA, MILKSHAKES, JUST FRIENDS (7 PM)
• Saturday, Nov. 19. JAZZ JAM with ALLEN LOWE, JEFF FULLER & ED CERCONE
• Monday, Nov. 21. MEMBER’S CHOICE FILM SCREENING: “RUNAWAY TRAIN”
• Wednesday, Nov. 23. AMERICAN PRIMITIVE GUITAR: DANIEL BACHMAN, ALEXANDER
• Friday, Nov. 25. BLUEGRASS/TRADITIONAL COUNTRY: DAVE PETERSON (A GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTION)
• Saturday, Nov. 26. FILM SCREENING FOR KIDS: “THE INCREDIBLE JOURNEY” (Sponsored by Pediatrics Plus of North Haven)
• Monday, Nov. 28. MEMBER’S CHOICE FILM SCREENING: “CHARADE”
• Wednesday, Nov. 30. JAZZ: URI SHAHAM TRIO
• Thursday, Dec. 1. ACOUSTIC GUITAR: GLENN ROTH, SINGER-SONGWRITER: KRISTEN GRAVES
• Friday, Dec. 2. INDIE ROCK: THE SAWTELLES CD RELEASE SHOW, HANK HOFFMAN (solo)
• Sunday, Dec. 4. FREE FIRST SUNDAY AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM (PRESENTED BY GUITARTOWNCT)
• Monday, Dec. 5. MEMBER’S CHOICE FILM SCREENING: “PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID”
• Thursday, Sept. 8. AMERICANA: SEPIATONE
• Friday, Dec. 9. BLUEGRASS: DALE ANN BRADLEY BAND (A GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTION)
• Monday, Dec. 12. MEMBER’S CHOICE FILM SCREENING: “WINTER’S BONE”
• Friday, Dec. 16. JAZZ: JEFF FULLER & FRIENDS
• Saturday, Dec. 17. FILM SCREENING FOR KIDS: “THE GOONIES” (Sponsored by Pediatrics Plus of North Haven)
• Monday, Dec. 19. MEMBER’S CHOICE FILM SCREENING: “CONTACT”
• Friday, Jan. 6. ACOUSTIC FOLK BLUES & MORE: VANGE DURST
• Saturday, Jan. 7. MUSIC OF “THE SIMPSONS”: DR. CATERWAUL’S CADRE OF CLAIRVOYANT CLAPTRAPS with SPECIAL GUESTS
• Friday, Jan. 13. BLUEGRASS: FIVE IN THE CHAMBER
• Friday, Jan. 20. BLUEGRASS: THE PAGE TURNERS (A GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTION)
• Friday, Jan. 27. JAZZ: BADSLAX
• Saturday, Jan. 28. FILM SCREENING FOR KIDS: “MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO” (Sponsored by Pediatrics Plus of North Haven)