Elison Jackson (Duo) plays Best Video Performance Space on Thursday, Oct. 22. The show starts at 8 PM and there is a $5 cover.
Elison Jackson is a stoner-soul/garage-folk band from New Haven, CT. They released their album “Do Not Fear to Kill a Dead Man,” on Telegraph Recording Company out of New London in 2013. They will play this show in duo format with songwriter Sam Perduta on guitar and Greg Perault on upright bass.
Their previous EP, “I Do Believe She Flew Out the Drainpipe,” drew critical acclaim in regional press and blogosphere. They’ve toured east of the Mississippi extensively for the past year and a half, and have shared the stage with Akron/Family, The Music Tapes, The Sadies, Those Darlins, and more.
Reviewing “I Do Believe She Flew Out the Drainpipe” on CT.com, Chip McCabe wrote, “Fans of Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Velvet Underground, The Byrds, Syd Barrett, and especially The Animals will rejoice over the authenticity and awesomeness of this album.”
Pre-release reviews of the new record are just as enthusiastic. The reviewer for the Symbiotic Reviews blog wrote:
In 2011, Elison Jackson released their sophomore LP “Spectral Evidence,” a rustic collection of folksy tunes that showcased singer/songwriter Sam Perduta’s gift for colorful storytelling while highlighting his bluesy, baritone drawl. Ambitious 2012 EP “I Do Believe She Fell Out of the Drainpipe” followed, a work overflowing with vintage organs, ethereal female choirs, trumpets, and sprawling song-lengths that served to further the idea that the New Haven, CT five-piece were more interested in atmospheric texture than simply belting out radio-friendly pop hits. Now with third full length “Do Not Fear To Kill A Dead Man,” Elison Jackson have perfected their blend of folk, blues, and baroque pop that’s at once intimately familiar and excitingly new.
• Thursday, Oct. 15. SOLO GUITAR/CD RELEASE: GLENN ROTH
• Friday, Oct. 16. TOURING SINGER-SONGWRITERS: LINDA WATERFALL, DEAN STEVENS
• Wednesday, Oct. 21. ROOTS ROCK: BRONSON ROCK
• Thursday, Oct. 22. GARAGE SOUL: ELISON JACKSON
• Friday, Oct. 23. ALT-COUNTRY: TANNERSVILLE
• Wednesday, Oct. 28. CLASSICAL: HAVEN STRING QUARTET
• Thursday, Oct. 29. SYNTH POP/ROCK: MISSION ZERO
• Friday, Oct. 30. HALLOWEEN SILENT FILM SCREENING WITH LIVE SCORE: LIGHT UPON BLIGHT
• Wednesday, Nov. 4. OLD TIMEY/SWING: THE ZuZAZZ STRING ORKESTRA
• Thursday, Nov. 5. INDIE POP: LAMONT/PLAYFIGHT
• Friday, Nov. 6. RAGTIME/BLUES: THE RED HOTS
• Friday, Nov. 13. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: SAMBELEZA
• Wednesday, Nov. 18. FILM SCREENING: THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (1962)
• Thursday, Nov. 19. DARK FOLK: ELISA FLYNN; SOUL PUNK: AN HISTORIC
• Friday, Nov. 20. SINGER-SONGWRITER: SABRINA TRUEHEART
• Sunday, Nov. 22. FILM SCREENING/BLACK LIVES MATTER BENEFIT: “ANNE BRADEN: SOUTHERN PATRIOT”
• Thursday, Dec. 3. ELECTRONIC: AVMUS