Elison Jackson is a stoner-soul/garage-folk band from New Haven, CT. Their latest release, “I Do Believe She Flew Out the Drainpipe,” drew critical acclaim in regional press and blogosphere. They’ve toured east of the Mississippi extensively for the past year and a half, and have shared the stage with Akron/Family, The Music Tapes, The Sadies, Those Darlins, and more. They plan to release their new full length this summer.
Reviewing “I Do Believe She Flew Out the Drainpipe” on CT.com, Chip McCabe wrote, “Fans of Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Velvet Underground, The Byrds, Syd Barrett, and especially The Animals will rejoice over the authenticity and awesomeness of this album.”
CT’s Elison Jackson has been on my personal radar for awhile now. I was blown away by last year’s full length effort, Spectral Evidence, and had big hopes for any new recorded material. My expectations have been exceeded. Their new EP, “I Do Believe She Flew Out the Drain Pipe” (released on New London’s The Telegraph Recording Company imprint) is hands down one of the best things you’ll hear out of the CT music scene this year.
Elison Jackson has always had this sort of ethereal , ghostly quality to the brand of folk rock they peddle. However on this release they’ve taken their sound to new dark and secret places that it hasn’t ventured as of yet. Songs like “Burned” and “Parking Lot” feel a little dangerous, the latter especially with its haunting backing vocals and nasty guitar work. There are moments on this EP where I feel like I’m suddenly launched into a David Lynch film even if only for a brief moment and that’s not a bad thing at all.
Check out this live performance by Elison Jackson on the “Live & Local” show:
UPCOMING PERFORMANCE SPACE EVENTS:
• Wednesday, May 29. No Event.
•Thursday, May 30. ACOUSTIC FOLK: ROBERT MESSORE
• Wednesday, June 5. PUNK/BLUES: SPACE ORPHANS
• Thursday, June 6. INDIE ROCK: ELISON JACKSON
• Monday, June 10. FILM SCREENING: “SAVING HUBBLE”
• Wednesday, June 12. SINGER-SONGWRITER: ANNA AYRES-BROWN
• Thursday, June 13. INDIE ROCK: THE MOUNTAIN MOVERS
• Wednesday, June 19. CABARET: RICH MORAN
• Thursday, June 20. INDIE POP: THE FURORS, AL HOWARD
• Wednesday, June 26. INDIE ROCK: THE JELLYSHIRTS
• Thursday, June 27. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: FRANK CRITELLI, MARK MIRANDO
• Wednesday, July 10. ACOUSTIC FOLK: SHELDON CAMPBELL
• Thursday, July 11. ACOUSTIC ROCK: JAMES VELVET & THE LONESOME SPARROWS