Musician Forrest Harlow plays a solo show at Best Video Performance Space on Wednesday, Jan. 31. The show starts at 8 PM and there is a $5 cover. Pete Riccio, songwriter for The Sawtelles, opens with a solo set.
Richard Forrest Harlow began singing and playing music in high school with his first band and switched to autoharp & keyboards when he started writing songs. Soon after his regular appearances at New Haven Connecticut’s legendary The Exit Coffeehouse began, he started hosting their Thursday Night Open Microphone. Being a disciple of the folk rock/Appalachian folk hybrid, much was gleaned during this stint. Then along came Glam Rock, Art Rock and Punk Rock and the hybrid grew.
It was at this point that Forrest joined forces with Craig Bell (Rocket From The Tombs, Saucers and Michael Barone & Jon March (Disturbance) to form The Plan. They released Harlow’s “I Love NY/I Hate NY,” a college radio favorite, on Gustav Records. But soon after he left the band, tiring of sharing the singing /songwriting duties not keeping up with his song output which was steadily increasing.
The years and lineups flew by (The Day When, The Nest); the song catalogue grew and grew, recording an LP always thwarted by a conflict of no cash and Harlow’s fondness for perfection. Numerous low tech attempts were scuttled.
Finally he was approached by Golden Microphone to contribute a song to “The Amy O’Neill Songbook,” a benefit CD for Amy who was born with a rare and progressive skin disease. Forrest recruited friends Lauren Agnelli (Nervus Rex, The Washington Squares) and Christopher Listorti (Call It Arson) to record ” World For Granted” which became the lead track.
In 2011 he recorded “Kennedys & Kings” with Michael Barone, Justin Good, Evan Levine, Brian Wolfe & co-producer/engineer Eric Lichter at Eric’s Dirt Floor Recording Studio. He will return there in 2018 to record his new collection of songs. His new move instrumentally is the addition of new Electro-Harmonix signal based keyboard sounds & sitar triggered by his autoharp.
Forrest lives in Chester CT with his wife Laurie, their dog Emily Bronte, cat Smokey Joe and their horses Cristal (Forrest’s majestic Cheval Canadien) and Brooke (Lauries Arabian) in 1928 brick farmhouse.
Pete Riccio is songwriter for The Sawtelles, a trio that features his wife Julie on drums and BVFCC Executive Director Richard Brown on guitar and sax. Riccio, a drummer by training, plays guitar and sings in The Sawtelles, crafting his tunes from a bevy of alternate tunings on guitar. This is a rare solo appearance for him.
UPCOMING EVENTS (Music events start at 8 PM unless otherwise noted; screenings start at 7 PM unless otherwise noted):
• Thursday, Jan. 25, 6:30 PM. INDIE ROCK: BONZO, BILGE RAT, PINFINGER, SHORT MONTH
• Friday, Jan. 26. BLUES ROCK: JOE MILLER & THE HIPSHAKERS
• Saturday, Jan. 27. AVANT-GARDE/PSYCH: RIVENER, LANDING, ROSS MENZE
• Tuesday, Jan. 30, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Wednesday, Jan. 31. ROCK: FORREST HARLOW
• Thursday, Feb. 1. BLUES/FOLK: MATTHEW BENNETT; SINGER-SONGWRITER: KYLA P
• Friday, Feb. 2. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Tuesday, Feb. 6, 7 PM. FILM SCREENING & DISCUSSION: “LIFE ON PAROLE”
• Wednesday, Feb. 7. GARAGE ROCK: STRAIGHT TO VHS
• Thursday, Feb. 8. BLUEGRASS: JOE K. WALSH & CELIA WOODSMITH, feat. BOBBY BRITT & ZOE GUIGUENO
• Friday, Feb. 9. ROCK: ROPE
• Wednesday, Feb. 14, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY OPEN MIC
• Friday, Feb. 16. SINGER-SONGWRITER/FUTURE SOUL: PAUL BRYANT HUDSON
• Saturday, Feb. 17. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: KATH BLOOM, DAN GREENE (of THE MOUNTAIN MOVERS)
• Sunday, Feb. 18, 3 PM. FILM SCREENING & DISCUSSION: BRILLIANT DARKNESS
• Friday, Feb. 23. AVANT-GARDE: LIGHT UPON BLIGHT, AVMUS
• Tuesday, Feb. 27, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Thursday, MAR. 1, 8 PM. ABIOSEH JOSEPH COLE: POETRY FOR THE LIVING; DAVID BRENSILVER: MUSIC FOR THE DOOMED
• Friday, Mar. 2. ACOUSTIC ROCK: THE BIRDMEN
• Monday, Mar. 5, 7 PM. LITERARY: A READING FOR AL-MUTANABBI STREET—DAISY C. ABREU & STEPHEN VINCENT KOBASA
• Friday, Mar. 16. BLUEGRASS: ZOE & CLOYD (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Sunday, Mar. 18, 6 PM. NIGHT OF IRISH SONGS: CHARLIE KING, ANNIE PATTERSON & PETER BLOOD (TIX: https://www.riseupandsing.org/events/rising-moon-new-haven)
• Friday, Mar. 23. SOLO GUITAR: GLENN ROTH; SOLO DOUBLE BASS: CHARLES BERTHOUD
• Saturday, Mar. 24. INDIE ROCK: THE SAWTELLES; AUDIO JANE
• Friday, Apr. 13. BLUEGRASS/AMERICANA: RIVER RUN
• Friday, Apr. 20. BLUEGRASS: MATT FLINNER TRIO (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Saturday, May 12. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND