Singer-songwriters Frank Critelli and Jay Prince play the Best Video Performance Space on Thursday, Nov. 13. The music starts at 8 PM and the cover is $5.
Frank Critelli writes songs. He dabbles in haiku and other short poetry. Sometimes he writes other stuff too. Like postcards. His songs are available on compact disc and for download at Independisc Music Club and other places like CD Baby. You can read more about his music at his website or MySpace page.
Frank Critelli often performs live. Sometimes he performs solo, and sometimes he is accompanied by one or more musical co-conspirators. Over the years he’s played in streets and subways, coffeehouses, classrooms, barrooms, clubs, colleges, festivals, theaters, and (most recently) in his kitchen.
Jay Prince is a singer/songwriter from the New Haven area of CT. He grew up in a household steeped in music, and says “there was always music on…my heroes have always been musicians, specifically songwriters.” Raised on various forms of American roots music: rock and roll, southern rock, blues, and country (and later punk rock and hardcore), the template was set for what would later become his distinctive style of American folk music. Influences can, at times, be broad, but easily narrowed down to early Bob Dylan, Townes Van Zandt, Tom Waits, Elliott Smith, Willie Nelson and Leonard Cohen.
He has shared the stage with such acts as Those Darlins’, Murder By Death, David Dondero, and Grant Hart (Husker Du). His debut EP, “Love Is a Storm and a Bottomless Well,” was released Jan 10th, 2014.
• Monday, Nov. 3. FILM SCREENING: “THE JEWISH CARDINAL”
• Thursday, Nov. 6. NEO-URBAN TRADITIONAL MUSIC: THE STACY PHILLIPS-PAUL HOWARD DUET
• Friday, Nov. 7. INSTRUMENTAL ROCK: THE SIX PACK DUTCHMEN
• Monday, Nov. 10. FILM SCREENING: “A PRICE ABOVE RUBIES”
• Tuesday, Nov. 11. TRIBUTE TO FRANK SINATRA: FRANZ DOUSKEY & RICH MORAN, JR.
• Wednesday, Nov. 12. JAZZ: DAVID CHEVAN & WARREN BYRD
• Thursday, Nov. 13. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: FRANK CRITELLI, JASON PRINCE
• Friday, Nov. 14. INDIE FOLK: OLIVE TIGER
• Monday, Nov. 17. FILM SCREENING: “I CONFESS”
• Wednesday, Nov. 19. SONGWRITERS’ CIRCLE: MARK MIRANDO, DICK NEAL, LAURA JOY
• Thursday, Nov. 20. FILM SCREENING: “SEVEN DAYS IN MAY”
• Friday, Nov. 21. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: BECKY KESSLER (Violent Mae), SAM PERDUTA (Elison Jackson)
• Monday, Nov. 24. FILM SCREENING: “BABETTE’S FEAST”
• Friday, Nov. 28. PSYCHO-FOLK: MILKSOP: UNSUNG
• Monday, Dec. 1. FILM SCREENING: “DOUBT”
• Thursday, Dec. 4. JAZZ: REBECCA ABBOTT
• Friday, Dec. 5. ACOUSTIC ROCK: THE LONESOME SPARROWS
• Monday, Dec. 8. FILM SCREENING: “THE END OF THE AFFAIR”
• Thursday, Dec. 11. BLUEGRASS: FIVE IN THE CHAMBER
• Monday, Dec. 15. FILM SCREENING: “VISION”
• Thursday, Dec. 18. POST-PUNK: ZOO FRONT, KEVIN MF KING
• Friday, Dec. 19. ALT-COUNTRY: HEATHER FAY
• Friday, Jan. 9. MUSIC FROM “TWIN PEAKS”: DR. CATERWAUL’S CADRE OF CLAIRVOYANT CLAPTRAPS
• Wednesday, Jan. 14. JAZZ: JEFF FULLER & FRIENDS