Best Video Performance Space will host a multimedia event by poet Mark Saba and composer Alphonse Izzo on Sunday, May 19, at 3 PM. Admission is $5.Mark will read poems from his recently-published collection, “Painting a Disappearing Canvas” (Grayson Books) against an original score composed by Alphonse as well as images produced by Mark in iMovie. Images will also accompany Alphonse’s composition, “Special Green Interlude,” before Mark concludes the evening with one of his short stories.
Mark Saba has been writing fiction, poetry, and nonfiction for over thirty years. In addition to his poetry collection, he has had two short novels published, as well as many stories, essays, and poems in literary magazines and anthologies around the U.S. and abroad. Several of the poems in “Painting a Disappearing Canvas” reflect his Pittsburgh roots.
Tony Norman reviewed “Painting a Disappearing Canvas” for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, writing:
There are poets who exercise admirable restraint, yet somehow manage to squeeze in a lot of images between the lines. Former Pittsburgher Mark Saba falls into this category. His language is rich and imagistic, but nuanced; tender, yet suspicious of false sentiment. A few poems touch on Pittsburgh in this collection, but most are about other states of mind and being. “Painting a Disappearing Canvas” is sublimity guaranteed to linger.
Mark is a graduate of Wesleyan University (BA) and Hollins College (MA), where he won an Academy of American Poets Award as well as the Andrew James Purdy fiction award. He is also a painter. See some of his work at his Web site.
Alphonse Izzo, a graduate of the Hartt School, is a composer and performer based in New Haven, CT. His music has been performed throughout the USA, most recently at Carnegie Hall, in Canada, Europe and Argentina.
He has composed music for fixed media, film, dance, chamber ensembles and rock bands. Alphonse Izzo’s music is represented by Honey Rock Publishing and Canondale Publishing. His music appears on CD via Trace Label and Vox Novus. See his Web site for more information.
UPCOMING PERFORMANCE SPACE EVENTS:
• Wednesday, May 15. JAZZ: THE NICK Di MARIA QUARTET
• Thursday, May 16. ROCK—ROPE
• Sunday, May 19. MUSIC, IMAGE & SPOKEN WORD: MARK SABA & TOM IZZO
• Thursday, May 23. HOCKEY ROCK: THE ZAMBONIS
•Thursday, May 30. ACOUSTIC FOLK: ROBERT MESSORE
• Wednesday, June 5. PUNK/BLUES: SPACE ORPHANS
• Thursday, June 6. INDIE ROCK: ELISON JACKSON
• Wednesday, June 12. SINGER-SONGWRITER: ANNA AYRES-BROWN
• Thursday, June 13. INDIE ROCK: THE MOUNTAIN MOVERS
• Wednesday, June 19. CABARET: RICH MORAN
• Thursday, June 20. INDIE POP: THE FURORS, AL HOWARD
• Wednesday, June 26. INDIE ROCK: THE JELLYSHIRTS
• Thursday, June 27. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: FRANK CRITELLI, MARK MIRANDO
• Wednesday, July 10. ACOUSTIC FOLK: SHELDON CAMPBELL
• Thursday, July 11. ACOUSTIC ROCK: JAMES VELVET & THE LONESOME SPARROWS