Two young indie rock acts—Pools Are Nice and Buck McGrane—play the Best Video Performance Space on Wednesday, May 8. The music starts at 8 PM and, at the musicians’ request, there is a reduced cover charge for this show of $3. Buck McGrane will play first, followed by Pools Are Nice.
The lineup of Pools Are Nice is: Sean Nash (Guitar, drums, vocals, bass), Mike Cipressi (bass, guitar, vocals), Dan Provenzano (guitar, bass, vocals), Vincent Adinolfi (drums/photography/videography). Dan Provenzano describes the group as having a “catchy lofi post-punk sound.” The group has home-recorded several EPs of songs, which are available for free download at their Bandcamp page. Here is what the music blog I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times has written about Pools Are Nice:
Lo-fi fuzzy rock, for some reason this band just aren’t getting the recognition that they deserve, which is sad! They’re thoroughly enjoyable and I’ve got a soft spot for any music that has that golden summer feel, particularly with the weather being what it is at the moment (London doing its best to snow). Also, most of their music is available to download for free, so there’s no real reason not to give it a try.
Their latest EP, “We Live Here Now,” (another EP has been released on Bandcamp since this post was written—Editor) has an impassioned edge – the vocals bring a certain kind of desperate rawness to the familiar sound, pushing it just over the edge into post-punk. There’s something incredibly relatable about lo-fi, when it feels like you could be hearing the band live in some dusty basement – although if you were, there’d be no chance you’d be caught standing still.
Check out a video made by band member Vincent Adinolfi for their song “Hey Tonight”:
Buck McGrane, who opens the show playing solo, plays sad songs that make you feel good. Originally from Marlborough, CT, Buck has been writing / recording music since 2004 with influences ranging from Owen to Brian Wilson to about a million other other things. Buck’s first full-length album “Grazie Mille” is now officially released and available for FREE download on his Bandcamp page.
Buck McGrane performing “Waiting On The Line”:
UPCOMING PERFORMANCE SPACE EVENTS:
• Wednesday, May 1. MAY DAY TROUBADOR & FILM SCREENING: BILL COLLINS and “SALT OF THE EARTH”
• Thursday, May 2. INDIE ROCK—THE SAWTELLES
• Sunday, May 5. FILM SCREENING & DISCUSSION: “ALL ME: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF WINFRED REMBERT”
• Wednesday, May 8. INDIE ROCK: POOLS ARE NICE, BUCK McGRANE
• Thursday, May 9. BEST VIDEO MANAGER RICHARD BROWN’S 60TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION: MUSICAL SPECIAL GUESTS—THE FURORS, THE STREAMS, HAPPY ENDING and more
• Wednesday, May 15. JAZZ: THE NICK Di MARIA QUARTET
• Thursday, May 16. ROCK—ROPE
• Thursday, May 23. ROCKABILLY: BIG FAT COMBO
• Wednesday, June 12. SINGER-SONGWRITER: ANNA AYRES-BROWN
• Thursday, June 13. INDIE ROCK: THE MOUNTAIN MOVERS
• Wednesday, June 19. CABARET: RICH MORAN
• Thursday, June 20. INDIE POP: THE FURORS, AL HOWARD
• Wednesday, June 26. INDIE ROCK: THE JELLYSHIRTS
• Thursday, June 27. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: FRANK CRITELLI, MARK MIRANDO
• Thursday, July 11. ACOUSTIC ROCK: JAMES VELVET & THE LONESOME SPARROWS