The Lonesome Sparrows are happy to announce the introduction/release of their new three-song EP, “nobody here but us sparrows” at the gig.
A new James Velvet number, “Bright Street Lights,” a country two-beat, kicks off the collection, followed by a Sparrows downtempo re-imagining of a Reducers’ classic, “Count On Me,” and closing with a re-done version of their own tribute to good times, “Holiday Weekend,” featuring the drums of Tom “Troutcat” Smith.
Tom plays drums on all three cuts, which is quit a change for the band, who usually rely on toe-taping for the beat.
James Velvet is the writer/singer of the band. Like all The Sparrows he is a veteran of many roots/Americana rock’n’roll bands, as well as being the long-time co-host of “Local Bands!” on WPLR.
Dick Neal plays banjo, mandolin, and dobro, and handles the recordings for the group. He is well-known in Fairfield County for his bluegrass prowess with his band Hoe. With Velvet and Johnny Java, he was a long-time member of The Mocking Birds.
Johnny played bass with The Mocking Birds during their ten year residency at New Haven’s legendary cafe nine, but he’s a drummer as well, and has played both instruments with many a band.
Johnny Memphis plays lead acoustic guitar and fiddle, and sings back-up in The Sparrows. He’s a multi-instrumentalist who has traveled the country for forty years melding his background in swing music with all types of rock ‘n’roll.
“nobody here but us sparrows” is the bands first release since 2010’s “Black Velvet Royalty.”
Gary Vollono of IndepenDisc and Cygnus Radio sums it up: “These guys can play!”
UPCOMING PERFORMANCE SPACE EVENTS:
• Wednesday, Oct. 2. ACOUSTIC BLUES: CORNBREAD
• Thursday, Oct. 3. PARKER’S TANGENT: ROCK
• Monday, Oct. 7. FILM SCREENING: “THE SECRET IN THEIR EYES”
• Wednesday, Oct. 9. ACOUSTIC ROCK: HENRY SIDLE
• Thursday, Oct. 10. GARAGE SOUL: BRONSON ROCK
• Monday, Oct. 14. FILM SCREENING: “PARADISE NOW”
• Wednesday, Oct. 16. ACOUSTIC ROCK: JAMES VELVET & THE LONESOME SPARROWS
• Thursday, Oct. 17. INDIE ROCK: ZOO FRONT
• Monday, Oct. 21. FILM SCREENING: “FURY”
• Wednesday, Oct. 23. CLASSICAL: RAVENNA MICHALSEN & ALEXANDER SMITH
• Thursday, Oct. 24. INDIE ROCK: THE STREAMS
• Monday, Oct. 28. FILM SCREENING: “CAPE FEAR” (Original version)
• Wednesday, Oct. 30. LOCAL LEGENDS/NEW WAVE: THE FURORS
• Monday, Nov. 4. FILM SCREENING: “IN THE BEDROOM”
• Wednesday, Nov. 6. SINGER-SONGWRITER: ESTHER GOLTON
• Thursday, Nov. 7. GARAGE FOLK: ELISON JACKSON
• Wednesday, Nov. 13. WINE TASTING with BOB FEINN FROM MT. CARMEL WINE & SPIRITS
• Monday, Nov. 11. FILM SCREENING: “THE SEARCHERS”
• Wednesday, Nov. 20. STRING QUARTET ROCK: THE TET OFFENSIVE
• Thursday, Nov. 21. APOCALYPTIC POP: THE GRIMM GENERATION