Jazz bassist Jeff Fuller and guitarist Tony Purrone return to Best Video Performance Space on Friday, Apr. 27, with Barry Ries joining on drums and trumpet. The show starts at 8 PM and the cover is $10.
Fuller and Purrone have been playing together again for the first time in many years after starting their careers in New Haven’s jazz scene at clubs like the Foundry Café, and gaining valuable experience accompanying such visiting artists as Frank Foster, George Coleman and Jimmy Heath. It was with the Heath Brothers that Purrone made his leap into the jazz world, earning a reputation as one of the most amazing soloists in jazz, as witnessed by a number of Columbia LPs the group released. Fuller was discovered and picked up by saxophonist and NEA Jazzmaster Lou Donaldson and toured and recorded with him for the next 15 years, before moving on to Paquito D’Rivera’s New York/Havana Quintet and other NYC-based groups.
Whether performing on stage and in clubs, teaching jazz and coaching ensembles, or composing and arranging in his home studio, Jeff Fuller brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to all his musical endeavors.
An integral part of the Connecticut, New York and international jazz scenes, Fuller toured worldwide and recorded with saxophonists Lou Donaldson and Paquito D’Rivera. He has played with jazz masters from all styles and eras including such diverse artists as Dizzy Gillespie, Mose Allison, “Papa” Jo Jones, Gerry Mulligan, and Clark Terry.
Fuller is one of the most sought after jazz bassists in Connecticut, and currently leads his own ensembles in many jazz venues. In September, 2014, he was awarded the annual Jazz Haven Award, “For all you have done in presenting and preserving the culture and music of jazz.” Fuller plays the Upton Hawkes Hybrid double bass, and a Ken Smith 6-string bass guitar.
Tony Purrone was born and raised in Connecticut. His love affair with the guitar started with his first lesson at age nine. This early ability, expressed across a diversity of styles, led to acceptance by the University of Bridgeport Jazz Ensemble at a very young age. Four years later, whilst still a student, he performed with the Don Elliott Quintet and the Gerry Mulligan Sextet. After transferring to New York University, Tony graduated with a BSc in music.
In 1978, he came to the attention of Jimmy Heath in Connecticut and was invited to join the Heath Brothers Band, going on to record five albums on CBS and Island-Antilles in between touring the world.
In 1982, Tony left to carve his own impressive niche in the eclectic jazz world. He has performed with a Who’s Who of Jazz, including: Frank Foster and the Count Basie Band, Jerome Richardson, Lee Konitz, Al Cohn, Pepper Adams, Paquito D’Rivera, Sal Nistico, Nick Brignola, Bill Barron, Dave Leibman, Freddie Hubbard, Dizzy Gillespie, Randy Brecker, Lew Soloff, Jon Faddis, Donald Byrd, Lionel Hampton, Woody Herman band members, the Jimmy Heath Big Band, Stanley Cowell, Billy Eckstine, Johnny Hartman, the Trio (3) with Pete Levin and Lenny White, and his own groups.
Tony has taught music at Housatonic College and Wesleyan University in Connecticut and at Queens College in New York. Tony participated in two Grammy nominated albums, “Heath Brothers Live at the Public Theater”, (1980); and “Jimmy Heath-Little Man, Big Band” (1994). Tony has also recorded with Jimmy Heath on the Landmark, Verve, and Steeplechase labels, Ed Thigpen on the Reaction label and is the featured guitar soloist along with bassist, Stanley Clarke, on the song “Dark” co-written with Lenny White on Lenny’s CD, “Present Tense” (Hip Bop records).
UPCOMING EVENTS (Music events start at 8 PM unless otherwise noted; screenings start at 7 PM unless otherwise noted):
• Thursday, Apr. 19. ACOUSTIC ROCK: RICHARD NEAL with THE BIRDMEN (rescheduled from Mar. 2)
• Friday, Apr. 20. BLUEGRASS: MATT FLINNER TRIO (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Saturday, Apr. 21. FOLK/BLUES: WASHBOARD SLIM & THE BLUE LIGHTS PRESENTS AN EVENING WITH 4 CT BLUES/ROOTS DIVAS—LAUREN AGNELLI, SANDY CONNOLLY, JILLIAN GREY & LYNN MALAVOLTI
• Monday, Apr. 23, 6:30-9 PM. GUITARTOWNCT THIRD MONDAY BLUEGRASS JAM
• Tuesday, Apr. 24, 5-7 PM. BVFCC THE GREAT GIVE KICK-OFF HAPPY HOUR
• Tuesday, Apr. 24, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Wednesday, Apr. 25. BLUES/FOLK: CODA BLUE
• Thursday, Apr. 26. INDIE ROCK: FIELD DAY, AMERICANA: LOVE LOVE
• Friday, Apr. 27. JAZZ: JEFF FULLER & FRIENDS w/ TONY PURRONE
• Monday, Apr. 30, 7 PM. FILM SCREENING: SEAN KERNAN’S “THE KAMPALA BOXING CLUB”
•Tuesday, May 1, 8 AM-Wednesday, May 2, 8 PM. THE GREAT GIVE® ONLINE FUNDRAISER
• Tuesday, May 1, 5-7 PM. HAPPY HOUR FOR THE GREAT GIVE®
• Wednesday, May 2. TRIBUTE TO JONI MITCHELL’S “HEJIRA”: JACK VEES
• Thursday, May 3. BLUES ROCK: PARKER’S TANGENT
• Friday, May 4. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: THE BOSSA NOVA PROJECT feat. ISABELLA MENDES
• Wednesday, May 9, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY OPEN MIC
• Thursday, May 10, 7:30 PM. ROCK: NOTATTOO
• Friday, May 11, 7 PM. STATE OF THE NATION—PROTEST MUSIC CABARET: SETH ADAM, THAT VIRGINIA, PAUL BRYANT HUDSON, ZOO FRONT, BRET LOGAN
• Saturday, May 12. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Sunday, May 13, 2-5 PM. FREE MONTHLY SUNDAY GUITARTOWNCT BLUEGRASS JAM
• Thursday, May 17. INDIE ROCK: HOUSE SPARROW (MA), PROCEDURE CLUB, PERENNIAL
• Friday, May 18. JAZZ: BADSLAX
• Sunday, May 20, 2-4 PM. FREE OPEN IRISH MUSIC JAM
• Sunday, May 20, 6 PM. INDIE ROCK: FUTURE TEENS, SPIT-TAKE, MINEVA, ALL RIOT
• Monday, May 21, 6:30-9 PM. GUITARTOWNCT THIRD MONDAY BLUEGRASS JAM
• Tuesday, May 22. 7 PM. “AGAINST FORGETTING—READINGS FROM THE PETRY OF WITNESS”: READING BY DAISY C. ABREU & STEPHEN VINCENT KOBASA
• Wednesday, May 23. JAZZ: BOTTOMLEY/SOUZA/MORRISON
• Thursday, May. 24. BLUES ROCK: JOE MILLER & THE HIPSHAKERS
• Friday, May 25. ACOUSTIC OLD-TIMEY/SWING: THE RED HOTS; AMERICANA: PAT STONE
• Tuesday, May 29, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Wednesday, May 30. SINGER-SONGWRITER: BEN MIKULA/THE LONE GNOME
• Friday, June 1. JAZZ: HAMDEN HIGH SCHOOL JAZZ COMBO
• Sunday, June 3, 2-5 PM. FREE MONTHLY SUNDAY GUITARTOWNCT BLUEGRASS JAM
• Wednesday, June 6. AVANT-GARDE: ERNESTO CÁRCAMO CAVAZOS, HUMAN FLOURISHING
• Friday, June 8, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: THE PAGE TURNERS (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Thursday, June 14. BLUEGRASS: THE ANGRY O’HARAS
• Friday, June 15, 7:30 PM. ALT-COUNTRY: PAT STONE & THE DIRTY BOOTS; ROCK: HAPPY ENDING
• Sunday, June 17, 2-4 PM. FREE OPEN IRISH MUSIC JAM
• Monday, June 18, 6:30 PM. GUITARTOWNCT THIRD MONDAY BLUEGRASS JAM
• Friday, June 22. JAZZ: THE PAUL SHANLEY QUINTET
• Wednesday, June 27. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: THE BUTTONDOWNS, DR. MARTINO
• Thursday, June 28, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: JACOB JOHNSON (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Sunday, July 1, 2-5 PM. FREE MONTHLY SUNDAY GUITARTOWNCT BLUEGRASS JAM
• Tuesday, July 10, 5:30-7:30. WALK TO END ALZHEIMER’S TEAM SIGN-UP
• Sunday, July 15, 2-4 PM. FREE OPEN IRISH MUSIC JAM
• Wednesday, July 25, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: TOWN MOUNTAIN (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Tuesday, July 31, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Friday, Aug. 31, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: DALE ANN BRADLEY (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Friday, Nov. 9, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: KENNY & AMANDA SMITH (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Friday, Dec. 7, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: HONEY DEWDROPS (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)