UPDATE 2/17: Due to the threat of snow, this show is being postponed. We will announce a rescheduled date soon.
Singer-songwriter Kath Bloom and Mountain Mover Dan Greene play sets this Saturday, Feb. 17, at Best Video Performance Space. The music starts at 8 PM and the cover is $5.
For fans of the song and how to feel it. Kath Bloom is some kind of legend. She comes from a special place where country, blues and folk are made beautifully translucent and emotive. She has a special gift – her voice is delicate and tender, yet retains that raw emotion and hard worn truths that allows each sung word to be felt.
The more you hear of Kath Bloom, the more you notice it’s not just the arresting voice, but the power of the songwriting. “Beautiful” is the typical response—the kind of beauty that comes from truth, musical and the deeply lyrical. There are no good comparisons, but if you like the deep well of Emmylou Harris, the more poignant lyrics of Lou Reed, the joy of Maher Shalal Hash Baz or even Joni Mitchell, you’re kinda in the right zone. In reality, she’s simply Kath Bloom: horse whisperer, vocalist, mum, songwriter and a beautiful person.
Her albums recorded with Loren Mazzacane Connors in the 70′s/80′s are rare things, full of songs that float and melt into the ether. Impossibly beautiful and hard to find on LP, but check the reissues from a few years ago . In the 90′s Kath’s music was famously featured in Richard Linklater’s film “Before Sunrise.” Since then she has been busy writing and recording to great acclaim.
Dan Greene has a long history in New Haven music, dating back to the early 1990s when he played in the duo The Bug with (non-relative) Jeffrey Greene. Morphing into a full band, The Bug emerged from its chrysalis as The Butterflies of Love, who had an impressive run here and in the UK as purveyors of dreamy garage pop. Since The Butterflies of Love when on hiatus, Greene has poured his prolific songwriting skills into The Mountain Movers. Since 2011, The Mountain Movers have evolved into a powerhouse psychedelic ensemble, prone to immersive jams as well as deft turns on Greene’s melodic pop songs. After more than a decade either self-releasing music or putting out LPs on local Safety Meeting Records label, the group’s self-titled sixth album was released on May, 2017 on the national indie Trouble in Mind label.
Greene used to regularly perform solo but has cut back on those outings in the past couple of years. This is a rare chance to see Greene in an intimate space performing songs that you might recognize from recent powerhouses concerts offered by the full band. For this concert Dan will perform solo.
UPCOMING EVENTS (Music events start at 8 PM unless otherwise noted; screenings start at 7 PM unless otherwise noted):
• Wednesday, Feb. 14, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY OPEN MIC
• Friday, Feb. 16. SINGER-SONGWRITER/FUTURE SOUL: PAUL BRYANT HUDSON
• Saturday, Feb. 17. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: KATH BLOOM, DAN GREENE (of THE MOUNTAIN MOVERS)
• Sunday, Feb. 18, 3 PM. FILM SCREENING & DISCUSSION: BRILLIANT DARKNESS
• Wednesday, Feb. 21. JAM BAND: JS3 (THE JOHN SPIGNESI BAND ACOUSTIC)
• Thursday, Feb. 22. GOTH/SHOEGAZE: TELEGRAM SCAM
• Friday, Feb. 23. AVANT-GARDE: LIGHT UPON BLIGHT, AVMUS
• Tuesday, Feb. 27, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Wednesday, Feb. 28. PSYCHEDELIC INDIE: WITCH HAIR
• Thursday, MAR. 1, 8 PM. ABIOSEH JOSEPH COLE: POETRY FOR THE LIVING; DAVID BRENSILVER: MUSIC FOR THE DOOMED
• Friday, Mar. 2. ACOUSTIC ROCK: RICHARD NEAL & THE BIRDMEN
• Sunday, Mar. 4, 2-5 PM. FREE MONTHLY SUNDAY GUITARTOWNCT BLUEGRASS JAM
• Monday, Mar. 5, 7 PM. LITERARY: A READING FOR AL-MUTANABBI STREET—DAISY C. ABREU & STEPHEN VINCENT KOBASA
• Wednesday, Mar. 7. JAZZ/FUSION/CHAPMAN STICK: TOM GRIESGRABER; BRETT BOTTOMLEY
• Thursday, Mar. 8. SONGWRITERS IN THE ROUND: SHAWN TAYLOR, KRISTEN GRAVES
• Friday, Mar. 9. POWER POP: THE GRAND PAR; LAINI
• Wednesday, Mar. 14, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY OPEN MIC
• Thursday, Mar. 15. VIDEO GAME MUSIC: DISCOCACTUS
• Friday, Mar. 16. BLUEGRASS: ZOE & CLOYD (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Sunday, Mar. 18, 6 PM. NIGHT OF IRISH SONGS: CHARLIE KING, ANNIE PATTERSON & PETER BLOOD (TIX: https://www.riseupandsing.org/events/rising-moon-new-haven)
• Monday, Mar. 19, 6:30-9 PM. GUITARTOWNCT THIRD MONDAY BLUEGRASS JAM
• Thursday, Mar. 22. INDIE ROCK: TREADWELL
• Friday, Mar. 23. SOLO GUITAR: GLENN ROTH; SOLO DOUBLE BASS: CHARLES BERTHOUD
• Saturday, Mar. 24. INDIE ROCK: THE SAWTELLES; AUDIO JANE
• Tuesday, Mar. 27, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Friday, Mar. 30. BLUES ROCK: VANGE DURST; JAZZ/FOLK/ROCK: SEMAPHORA
• Sunday, Apr. 2, 2-5 PM. FREE MONTHLY SUNDAY GUITARTOWNCT BLUEGRASS JAM
• Thursday, Apr. 5. POWER POP: THE MOLD MONKIES
• Wednesday, Apr. 11, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY OPEN MIC
• Thursday, Apr. 12. FOLK: FLINT LADDER
• Friday, Apr. 6. INDIE ROCK: MERCY CHOIR, LITTLE SILVER
• Friday, Apr. 13. BLUEGRASS/AMERICANA: RIVER RUN
• Monday, Apr. 16, 6:30-9 PM. GUITARTOWNCT THIRD MONDAY BLUEGRASS JAM
• Friday, Apr. 20. BLUEGRASS: MATT FLINNER TRIO (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Saturday, Apr. 21. FOLK/BLUES: WASHBOARD SLIM & THE BLUE LIGHTS PRESENTS AN EVENING WITH 4 CT BLUES/ROOTS DIVAS—LAUREN AGNELLI, SANDY CONNELLY, JILLIAN GREY & LYNN MALAVOLTI
• Tuesday, Apr. 24, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Sunday, May 3, 2-5 PM. FREE MONTHLY SUNDAY GUITARTOWNCT BLUEGRASS JAM
• Wednesday, May 9, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY OPEN MIC
• Friday, May 11, 7 PM. STATE OF THE NATION: PROTEST MUSIC CABARET
• Saturday, May 12. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Friday, May 18. JAZZ: BADSLAX
• Sunday, May 20, 6 PM. INDIE ROCK: FUTURE TEENS, more TBA
• Monday, May 21, 6:30-9 PM. GUITARTOWNCT THIRD MONDAY BLUEGRASS JAM
• Tuesday, May 29, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Sunday, June 3, 2-5 PM. FREE MONTHLY SUNDAY GUITARTOWNCT BLUEGRASS JAM
• Friday, June 8, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: THE PAGE TURNERS (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Thursday, June 28, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: JACOB JOHNSON (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Friday, Dec. 7, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: HONEY DEWDROPS (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)