Experimental music groups Human Flourishing and Light Upon Blight play Best Video Performance Space on Thursday, Mar. 10. The music starts at 8 PM and there is a $5 cover.
Human Flourishing—featuring Connor Pereault and Gregory Paul—explores the spiritual connectivity between people through the creation of tense sound environments in a variety of spaces. Whether located in an abandoned farm structure or a New York gallery, the audience is encapsulated by the experience happening before them; transforming the surroundings into an ethereal or satanical plane. Human Flourishing’s experimental sound horizons encourage inner reflection and spiritual connectivity to a world that seems isolated and cold.
The resulting music is a celebration of fellow feeling. It’s about embracing uncertainty, loving a friend’s weirdness, exploring mistakes, and exorcising demons. The music has been called goopcore, and electronic primitivism, and worse. Their improvisations flow from harsh electronic noise to gentle acoustic strummings and back, held aloft by otherworldly ambient textures and/or simple vocal harmonies.
Much like volcanic eruptions, Light Upon Blight—led by guitarist Jeff Cedrone—performances are uncompromising acts of spontaneous destruction and creation. Purging and destroying the old while simultaneously laying new, fertile ground. No two Light Upon Blight performances are ever the same, just as nature intended. Sounds like: Free Jazz with a noise aesthetic or an exorcism.
• Monday, Mar. 7. OSCAR SERIES FILM SCREENING: “SUFFRAGETTE” (Rescheduled from 2/15 due to snow)
• Wednesday, Mar. 9. SINGER-SONGWRITER: PAT STONE
• Thursday, Mar. 10. EXPERIMENTAL: HUMAN FLOURISHING, LIGHT UPON BLIGHT
• Friday, Mar. 11. ACOUSTIC GUITAR: SHAWN PERSINGER IS PRESTER JOHN
• Sunday, Mar. 13 FREE AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Wednesday, Mar. 16. ACOUSTIC GUITAR: ROBERT MESSORE
• Friday, Oct. 18. ALT-COUNTRY: NO LINES NORTH
• Wednesday, Mar. 23. EXPERIMENTAL: THE FOREST ROOM, NICK Di MARIA: ZERO DOLLAR SOLO
• Thursday, Mar. 24. ROCK: PARKER’S TANGENT
• Friday, Mar. 25. SINGER-SONGWRITER: DICK NEAL
• Wednesday, Mar. 30. INDIE ROCK/SINGER-SONGWRITER: WESTERN ESTATES, ZACH ANDERSEN
• Thursday, Mar. 31. SINGER-SONGWRITER: FRANK CRITELLI, JOE FLOOD
• Wednesday, Apr. 6. INDIE ROCK presented by Redscroll Records: HEX INVERTER, DIRT DEVIL, NOTHING ISRAEL
• Friday. Apr. 8. FOLK: HUGH BIRDSALL & DANA TAKAKI
• Thursday, Apr. 14. INDIE ROCK: SPIT-TAKE
• Friday, Apr. 15. JAZZ: REBECCA ABBOTT, GARY GRIPPO & FRIENDS
• Thurs., Apr. 7. BLUES: THE MOODY’S BLUES
• Wednesday, Apr. 20. JAZZ: BADSLAX
• Thursday, Apr. 28. SEPHARDIC MUSIC: THE HERETICS OF CORDOBA
• Saturday, May 7. SOFT ACOUSTIC/ROCK: THE HERNANDEZ BROTHERS
• Friday, May 13. THREE SONGWRITERS IN THE ROUND: ANNE MARIE MENTA, DICK NEAL, GLEN ROETHEL
• Tuesday, Aug. 30. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Saturday, Oct. 8. THE NEW ENGLAND UNDERGROUND FILM FESTIVAL