Lys Guillorn is a singer/songwriter of the same musical school as Laura Veirs and Kristin Hersh, with a little Emmylou Harris thrown in: dreamy, lyric-driven, melodically interesting, and indefinable. She makes “oddly uplifting, folk, blues, country-infused, acoustic semi-electric psychedelic dark pop music.” (Geraint Jones, Comes With a Smile, UK). In recent years, Guillorn has released a full-length CD, an EP, and a collection of compilation tracks on her own Little Cowgirl Records. She released her second full-length CD of original material, “Winged Victory,” in November, 2013.
She comes at the listener not only with a full band in tow, but also with a cavalcade of guest musicians and a litany of her own instruments, each of which she’s extremely adept at. On this album Guillorn’s brand of folksy Americana is drenched in 60’s pop harmonies and an indie rock aesthetic. While she’s not afraid to bust out the lap steel, she’s also not afraid to incorporate the occasional cello accompaniment or horn section. It’s an album that’s pretty indicative of an artist who’s spent time floating in and out of varying genres for the last few years and coming back home to incorporate some of that into her own work. Again, positive musical experiences meeting with raw talent on wide open display here.
Calvin DeCutlass emerged as a singer-songwriter and guitarist in the New Haven scene during the early aughts with his bands The Tires and The Nortons (with local legend James Velvet and Johnny Java). He plays what Patrick Ferrucci of the New Haven Register called “intelligent, country-tinged folk rock” and he once tried out for the New Haven Cutters.
• Wednesday, Aug. 12. ELECTRONIC IMPROVISATION: DAVID ELKIN-GINNETTI & DEREK PIOTR
• Thursday, Aug. 13. INDIE FOLK: KINDRED QUEER
• Friday, Aug. 14. ROCK: THE FURORS, TOM HEARN
• Wednesday, Aug. 19. FOLK: WALKINGWOOD MANDOLIN QUARTET
• Thursday, Aug. 20. INDIE ROCK: THE LYS GUILLORN BAND, CALVIN DeCUTLASS
• Friday, Aug. 21. BLUEGRASS: FIDDLE FOREVER
• Tuesday, Aug. 25. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Thursday, Aug. 27. AMERICANA: PATRICK DALTON & MIKE SKAGGS
• Friday, Aug. 28. FILM SCREENING: “HEAD” (CT-PRODUCED LIVE PUPPET HORROR FEATURE)
• Friday, Sept. 4. JAZZ: BADSLAX
• Wednesday, Sept. 9. COMEDY OPEN MIC WITH JAKE NIETOPSKI
• Thursday, Sept. 10. INDIE ROCK: LA TUNDA
• Friday, Sept. 11. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNW MARIE MENTA BAND
• Wednesday, Sept. 16. CARIBBEAN/FOLK: LUKE RODNEY
• Friday, Sept. 18. SINGER-SONGWRITER: DAPHNE LEE MARTIN
• Tuesday, Sept. 29. SINGER-SONGWRITER: HANNAH FAIR
• Wednesday, Sept. 30. SINGER-SONGWRITER: ANGELA EASTERLING
• Thursday, Oct. 8. SINGER-SONGWRITER: FRANK CRITELLI
• Friday, Oct. 23. ALT-COUNTRY: TANNERSVILLE
• Friday, Oct. 30. HALLOWEEN FILM SCREENING WITH LIVE SCORE: LIGHT UPON BLIGHT