Matt Thomas knows how to write a song—as evidenced in over a decade of music-making with the Weigh Down, Leaves of Lothlorien, and Short Pants Romance.
Sometime around 2006, he found himself in between projects, wondering what to do next. The answer came as soon as he got his hands on a Mac and discovered Garage Band.
He toiled and tinkered. He wrote and recorded one song. One song led to many. He shared a few with people. The people really liked them—particularly Jason Hamel of Mates of State, who encouraged Matt to put a band together to share a bill with the Mates and Carlos Wells, who released the collection of bedroom recordings as “A Cloak of Nouns and Loss” on Safety Meeting Records in 2008.
Three drummers, four bassists, three guitarists, and one trumpeter/keyboardist later—the Bearington Band remains busy as ever.
The current lineup features Thomas, Bill Readey (guitar, vocals), Jason Bates (drums) and Chris Klouman (bass).
Over the past two years, the band has shared the stage with Deerhoof, the Drums, and Tim Easton at New London’s 2009 I AM Festival, rocked with Of Montreal and Lupe Fiasco at the 2010 BOMB Fest, and opened for Mates of State on a Northeast stint in February 2010.
Their full-band, follow-up effort “Love Buttons” hits the shelves on Valentine’s Day 2011. Produced by Fuzzy Rainbow (Fake Babies, Eula), with a hand from Greg Giorgio at Tarquin Studios (Interpol, The National), it’s an upbeat collection of sonic musings on various forms of love—from the traditional to the twisted—through the eyes of characters real and fictional.
And just in case that’s not enough to keep you entertained, don’t fear—the next record “Silent Immortals” about a gang of vampire mimes is already in the works. That’s right, we said “vampire mimes.”
Check out this video posted by the band on YouTube of their song “Dark Night” performed live:
UPCOMING PERFORMANCE SPACE EVENTS:
• Monday, July 29. FILM SCREENING: “ARRANGED”
• Wednesday, July 31. INDIE PSYCH/POP: M.T. BEARINGTON
• Thursday, Aug. 1. IMPROVISATION/WORLD MUSIC: SUPER TRANCE
• Monday, Aug. 5. FILM SCREENING: “ONLY HUMAN”
• Wednesday, Aug. 7. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: SAMBELEZA
• Thursday, Aug. 8. SINGER-SONGWRITER: ILANA ZSIGMOND
• Monday, Aug. 12. FILM SCREENING: “CRASH”
• Wednesday, Aug. 14. GARAGE ROCK/PUNK: THE ESTROGEN HIGHS
• Thursday, Aug. 15. JAZZ: THE NICK Di MARIA QUARTET
• Monday, Aug. 19. FILM SCREENING: “THE WAR WITHIN”
• Thursday, Aug. 22. MULTI-MEDIA: HAPPENING/NOW
• Monday, Aug. 26. FILM SCREENING: “THE OTHER SON”