UPDATED: Human Flourishing (solo) has been added to this bill.
We end our musical year with some adventurous improvisation from three acts, Nagual and The Zach Rowden + Chris Cretella Duo, Human Flourishing (solo). The show starts at 8 PM and the cover is $5.
Nagual has been performing since 2010, releasing cassettes on various labels and an LP on Ergot Records. David Shapiro (Alexander, HEADROOM, Stefan + Friends) and Ian McColm play guitars and electronics.
“Their tools are more varied than what you might find on a Pandit Pran Nath record, but Ian McColm and David Shapiro’s aim is trained on the same trance-inducing throb,” reads a review in Dusted Magazine.
Zach Rowden deals with the acoustic and performative possibilities/issues of the upright and electric basses. Currently based in New Haven, Connecticut, and from Richmond, Virginia. Collaborators and associations include Iancu Dumitrescu, Ana-Maria Avram, Robert Black, Lindsey Vickery, Matt Sargent, Leila Bordreuil, Sean Ali, Chris Cretella, and Michael Foster. He has performed at venues such as Harpa (Reykjavik), Issue Project Room, Fridman Gallery, Firehouse 12, Cafe Oto, Real Art Ways, and living rooms or basements found throughout the United States.
Chris Cretella is a guitarist, composer and improvisor working out of New Haven, CT (well…actually Meriden…but that’s close enough to New Haven…right?). He holds a BA in music from Southern Connecticut State University and an MM in Contemporary Improvisation from The New England Conservatory of Music where he studied with Joe Morris and Anthony Coleman. Since leaving NEC Chris has been working on developing a system of playing on the guitar through regular small group improvisation with frequent collaborators such as Joe Morris, Nigel Taylor, and Zach Rowden. This work on the guitar is often spit back out somewhere down the line as compositions. Very much an improvisor at heart, Chris’ written music often deals with some sort of open parameters.
Human Flourishing—featuring Connor Pereault and Gregory Paul (Pereault will be playing solo for this show)—explores the spiritual connectivity between people through the creation of tense sound environments in a variety of spaces. Whether located in an abandoned farm structure or a New York gallery, the audience is encapsulated by the experience happening before them; transforming the surroundings into an ethereal or satanical plane.
• Friday, Dec. 23. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: DUST HAT (DEBUT!), SOLO ELECTRIC GUITAR: BILL BECKETT
• Thursday, Dec. 29. JAZZ: MICHAEL COPPOLA
• Friday, Dec. 30. IMPROVISED/AVANT-GARDE: NAGUAL, THE ZACH ROWDEN + CHRIS CRETELLA DUO, CONOR PERREAULT (HUMAN FLOURISHING)
• Wednesday, Jan. 4. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: THE FURORS
• Friday, Jan. 6. ACOUSTIC FOLK BLUES & MORE: VANGE DURST
• Saturday, Jan. 7. MUSIC OF “THE SIMPSONS”: DR. CATERWAUL’S CADRE OF CLAIRVOYANT CLAPTRAPS with SPECIAL GUESTS
• Sunday, Jan. 8. GUITARTOWNCT MONTHLY FREE AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Wednesday, Jan. 11. AMERICANA: PLYWOOD COWBOY
• Thursday, Jan. 12. FILM SCREENING: “LANDLORD” (WEB SERIES)
• Friday, Jan. 13. BLUEGRASS: FIVE IN THE CHAMBER
• Wednesday, Jan. 18. POSTMODERN JAZZ STANDARDS: MÉLANGE À TROIS
• Thursday, Jan. 19. GOTH/SHOEGAZE: TELEGRAM SCAM
• Friday, Jan. 20. BLUEGRASS: THE PAGE TURNERS (A GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTION)
• Thursday, Jan. 26. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: THE BOSSA NOVA PROJECT
• Saturday, Jan. 28. FILM SCREENING FOR KIDS: “MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO” (Sponsored by Pediatrics Plus of North Haven)
• Monday, Jan. 30. FILM SCREENING: SEAN KERNAN’S “CROW STORIES”
• Wednesday, Feb. 1. JAZZ: JEFF FULLER & TONY LOMBARDOZZI
• Friday, Feb. 3. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Thursday, Feb. 9. INDIE ROCK: JELLYSHIRTS
• Friday, Feb. 10. ROCK: HAPPY ENDING, MERCY CHOIR (solo)
• Friday, Feb. 17. SINGER-SONGWRITER: ALEX BLAIR
• Friday, Feb. 24. INDIE POP: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Saturday, Feb. 25. MUSIC: “SHALL WE TALK ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT?”
• Friday, March 3. FREAK FOLK: THELMA, HALF WAIF
• Friday, Mar. 10. POP: THE DRESS-UPS
• Thursday, Mar. 16. SINGER-SONGWRITER: SETH ADAM, KATHY MUIR