Singer-songwriters Jay Prince (of the band Eurisko) and Patrick Dalton (of the group The Proud Flesh) will play solo sets on Wed., May 20. The show starts at 8 PM and the cover is $5.
Jay Prince is a singer/songwriter from the New Haven area of CT. He grew up in a household steeped in music, and says “there was always music on…my heroes have always been musicians, specifically songwriters.” Raised on various forms of American roots music: rock and roll, southern rock, blues, and country (and later punk rock and hardcore), the template was set for what would later become his distinctive style of American folk music. Influences can, at times, be broad, but easily narrowed down to early Bob Dylan, Townes Van Zandt, Tom Waits, Elliott Smith, Willie Nelson and Leonard Cohen.
He has shared the stage with such acts as Those Darlins’, Murder By Death, David Dondero, and Grant Hart (Husker Du). His debut EP, “Love Is a Storm and a Bottomless Well,” was released Jan 10th, 2014.
A founding member of The Proud Flesh, Patrick culls from the murky corners of American popular song to amalgamate a sound all his own. Dalton’s own music, while strikingly original and nuanced, has a familiarity to it—there’s Delta blues in his studied finger picking, folk and hip hop in his storied lyrics and powerful, breathy voice, big band in his trumpet playing, and classic American songwriting in his melodies. His songs come to terms with everything from death to macro-politics to economics, and while his subject matter may be heavy at times, Dalton’s songs leave you pensive rather than downtrodden, interested rather than pessimistic.
• Wednesday, May 13. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: BIG FAT COMBO
• Thursday, May 14. INDIE ROCK: THE SAWTELLES
• Friday, May 15. ALT-COUNTRY: HEATHER FAY
• Monday, May 18. FILM SCREENING: “HEY BOO: HARPER LEE & TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD”
• Wednesday, May 20. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: JAY PRINCE, PATRICK DALTON
• Thursday, May 21. INDIE ROCK: JELLYSHIRTS
• Friday, May 22. ROCK: NOTHING SPECIAL
• Wednesday, May 27. BLUEGRASS: THE FIDDLEHEADS
• Thursday, May 28. SINGER-SONGWRITER: SETH ADAM
• Friday, May 29. SINGER-SONGWRITER: SABRINA TRUEHEART
• Thursday, June 4. AVANT-GARDE: ZERO DOLLAR, PARLAY DRONER
• Friday, June 5. STRING QUARTET ROCK: THE TET OFFENSIVE
• Monday, June 8. FILM SCREENING: “FINDING TATANKA”
• Wednesday, June 10. SINGER-SONGWRITER: KATH BLOOM
• Friday, June 12. BLUEGRASS: THE WOOL HATS STRING BAND
• Thursday, June 18: SILENT FILM with MUSIC: LIGHT UPON BLIGHT scores “THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI”
• Friday, June 26. INDIE FOLK: OLIVE TIGER
• Friday, July 17. PIANO POP/PAINTING: POCKET VINYL
• Wednesday, Aug. 26. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS