Sambeleza performs a wide variety of Brazilian songs — both old and new — with a jazz twist. Featured composers include Tom Jobim and Ary Barroso, as well as younger composers like Djavan, Debora Gurgel and Arlindo Cruz. A few originals by group members are added to the mix.
Brasil (spelled with ‘s’ in Portuguese) is well known for its rich heritage — a blend of indigenous, African and European cultures — from which the music has risen with fascinating rhythms, soaring melodies and colorful harmonies.
The musicians of Sambeleza are outstanding U. S. and Brazilian interpreters of the great songs of the bossa nova and samba traditions, as well as outstanding jazz artists in their own right. Sambeleza derives its name from two words: samba, the national dance of Brasil, and beleza, Portuguese for ‘beauty’.
Guitarist Joe Carter’s specialty is Brazilian Jazz, combining straight ahead and bebop styles of jazz with samba, bossa nova and Northeast styles of Brazilian music. Two CDs showcase his familiarity with Brazilian music: “Um Abraco No Rio” was recorded in Rio de Janeiro with Brazilian musicians including world-renowned harmonica virtuoso Mauricio Einhorn; “The Samba Rio Trio” utilizes the talents of bassist Nilson Matta and legendary drummer Portinho.
Bassist Jeff Fuller, well-known CT jazz artist, toured worldwide and recorded with master saxophonist Lou Donaldson and Paquito D’Rivera, with each of whom he recorded three albums. He has also appeared with jazz artists of all styles and eras. In the field of Latin Jazz, Fuller toured with Paquito D’Rivera’s Havana/New York Quintet, the Hilton Ruiz Quintet, and Orlando “Puntilla” Rios’ Nueva Generación (Afro-Cuban folkloric). Fuller leads his own jazz trio Jeff Fuller & Friends, which has released two CDs.
Laura Volpintesta will sing and play percussion.
UPCOMING EVENTS (Music events start at 8 PM unless otherwise noted; screenings start at 7 PM unless otherwise noted):
• Sunday, July 16, 2 PM. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—HOWARD HAWK’S “HIS GIRL FRIDAY” (1940)
• Wednesday, July 19. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: SAMBELEZA
• Thursday, July 20, 5:30 PM. WINE TASTING WITH BOB FEINN OF MT. CARMEL WINE & SPIRITS
• Friday, July 21. SOLO GUITAR: GLENN ROTH; SINGER-SONGWRITER: DANA MERRITT
• Saturday, July 22, 7 PM. GARAGE ROCK: DELICATE FLOWERS, DISC TEEN ’66; FUNK ROCK: NEW AMSTERDAM NOBLES (A CAPITALH BOOKING SHOW)
• Sunday, July 23, 2 PM. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—HOWARD HAWK’S “THE BIG SLEEP” (1946)
• Wednesday, July 26. MUSIC FROM “THE SIMPSONS”: DR. CATERWAUL’S CADRES OF CLAIRVOYANT CLAPTRAPS with SPECIAL GUESTS
• Thursday, July 27. INDIE SINGER-SONGWRITER: DANIELLE CAPALBO (of QUIET GIANT), SEAN HAROLD (of THE MID SEASON)
• Friday, July 28. WORLD MUSIC: NEELA
• Sunday, July 30, 2 PM. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—HOWARD HAWK’S “RIO BRAVO” (1959)
• Wednesday, Aug. 2. JAZZ: BADSLAX
• Thursday, Aug. 3, 7:30 PM. WOMEN’S FILM SCREENING: “THE MILKY WAY”—HOSTED BY THE JCC OF GREATER NEW HAVEN FOR WORLD BREASTFEEDING WEEK (FREE)
• Friday, Aug. 4, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: HONEY DEWDROPS (GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTIONS)
• Sunday, Aug. 6, 2-5 PM. GUITARTOWNCT FREE SUNDAY AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Wednesday, Aug. 9. EXPERIMENTAL: HUMAN FLOURISHING, DAVE SCANLON, UNDERWEAR
• Thursday, Aug. 10. ALT-COUNTRY: PLYWOOD COWBOY
• Friday, Aug. 11. INDIE ROCK: LYS GUILLORN & HER BAND, ELISA FLYNN
• Wednesday, Aug. 16. INDIE ROCK: FURNSSS, TRASH CAN
• Thursday, Aug. 17. STEEL DRUM MUSIC: MIMOSA
• Fridy, Aug. 18. BEST JAZZ MINI-FESTIVAL: ALLEN LOWE & FAKE MUSIC ENSEMBLE with SPECIAL GUESTS
• Saturday, Aug. 19. BEST JAZZ MINI-FESTIVAL: ROSEMARY MINKLER TRIO; AN HISTORIC; BRIAN JARAWA GRAY
• Wednesday, Aug. 23. INDIE ROCK: ROZ & THE RICE CAKES, TEENAGE HALLOWEEN (A TINY BOX BOOKING SHOW)
• Thursday, Aug. 24. ROCK/JAZZ/SOUL: JOE STEIN; INDIE ROCK: ALEX MCGUIRE
• Friday, Aug. 25. POP ROCK: OBERON ROSE
• Tuesday, Aug. 29. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Thursday, Aug. 31. INDIE ROCK: DISCO TEEN ’66
• Friday, Sept. 8. INDIE ROCK: THE SAWTELLES
Thursday, Sept. 14. ACOUSTIC SOUL: CHRISSY GARDNER & ROBERT MESSORE
• Friday, Sept. 15, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: ROB ICKES & TREY HENSLEY (GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTIONS)
• Wednesday, Sept. 20. BLUEGRASS: BAIT AND SWITCH
• Friday, Sept. 22. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Friday, Sept. 29. FOLK: FLINT LADDER
• Saturday, Sept. 30. SINGER-SONGWRITER: JOHN GORKA (ODDBALL PRODUCTIONS)
• Friday, Oct. 6. INDIE ROCK/SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Friday, Oct. 13. FLASH FICTION: PAUL BECKMAN
• Friday, Oct. 20. BLUEGRASS: MISSY RAINES & THE NEW HIP (GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTIONS)
• Thursday, Nov. 16, 7 PM. BLUEGRASS: TIM O’BRIEN (SOLD OUT!)