Solo performers Samuel Bass and Kevin MF King will each play a set in the Best Video Performance Space on Wednesday, July 24. The cover is $5 and the music starts at 8 PM.
Samuel Bass is a songwriter from Hamden, Connecticut. He currently lives/goes to school in Marlboro, Vermont where he studies ethnomusicology. His first album, The Gritty Smoke, was released on the 4th of July, 2012, and since then he has been working on a new release called The Uncanny Valley. He enjoys intimate conversations and long walks on the beach.
Listen to Samuel Bass’ “Slipping Into the Shoes of the Hangman”:
Kevin MF King’s songs run amok with topics such as work drudgery, self-reflection, escapism, the debauchery displayed in modern politics and the process of human interaction, at times using fictional folk tales to tell a story, others just beautiful instrumentals. KMFK has more than 100 self-recorded songs regularly distributed on self-released hand-stamped cds.
KMFK’s first self-released cassette, “Digital Sneeze,” was given away to close friends in mid-2007. The next year was full of home recordings and more self-released CDs including the “Car Wreck At The Car Show” EP. In the spring of 2008 KMFK traveled to Boise, Idaho to record the “Employees of The Month” EP with Nathan Paradis (IQEQ). More travels, shows and recordings followed including the “Miss…ionary Jones and the Backflips” LP and by September, KMFK traveled to an extended stay Marriott with producer Nathan Paradis in Baltimore to record the “Sept. ’09” EP as well as the “Variations” LP with the group Give Us A Kiss.
Upon arriving back in CT, KMFK had a full live band called Kevin MF King & Death Valley Retreat, consisting of Derek Monahan on bass and Scotty-O (Mouth On Tailpipe) on drums. The trio played out often and recorded one album together, the “Death Valley Retreat” EP. In the summer of 2010 Scotty-O left the band and was replaced by Jason Musshorn (Beneath The Marrow) for a brief period. In October 2010 KMFK entered Silver Bullet Studios solo to record the song “Rope” with Greg Thomas (Misery Signals). In January 2011 KFMK traveled to Lawrence, Kan. to record another batch of demos and play a few shows. In May 2011 KMFK stopped performing solo to focus on the duo SEA with Broccoli Robb Park. Many shows, flyers and months later in October SEA recorded a 5 song ep “CHAIR” with Sgott MacKenzie (Ferocious Fucking Teeth). The group played its final show in December 2011.
The year 2012 was full of solo shows and in October KMFK recorded once again with Sgott MacKenzie, churning out the “Feral Kids” EP which was followed up in February 2013 by its sister ep “Bird Mask.”
Listen to the cut “Wash My hands” from Kevin MF King’s “Feral Kids” EP:
UPCOMING PERFORMANCE SPACE EVENTS:
• Wednesday, July 10. ACOUSTIC FOLK: SHELDON CAMPBELL
• Thursday, July 11. ACOUSTIC ROCK: JAMES VELVET & THE LONESOME SPARROWS
• Wednesday, July 17. INDIE POP: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Wednesday, July 18. CLASSICAL GUITAR: ORPHÉE RUSSELL
• Monday, July 22. FILM SCREENING: “ARRANGED”
• Wednesday, July 24. SINGER-SONGWRITER/INDIE: SAMUEL BASS, KEVIN MF KING
• Thursday, July 25. AVANT-GARDE_IMPROVISATION: FUCHSPRELLEN, COLORGUARD
• Monday, July 29. FILM SCREENING: “INTRUDER IN THE DUST”
• Wednesday, July 31. INDIE PSYCH/POP: M.T. BEARINGTON
• Thursday, Aug. 1. IMPROVISATION/WORLD MUSIC: SUPER TRANCE
• Monday, Aug. 5. FILM SCREENING: “ONLY HUMAN”
• Wednesday, Aug. 7. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: SAMBELEZA
• Thursday, Aug. 8. SINGER-SONGWRITER: ILANA ZSIGMOND
• Monday, Aug. 12. FILM SCREENING: “CRASH”
• Wednesday, Aug. 14. GARAGE ROCK/PUNK: THE ESTROGEN HIGHS
• Thursday, Aug. 15. JAZZ: THE NICK Di MARIA QUARTET
• Monday, Aug. 19. FILM SCREENING: “THE WAR WITHIN”
• Monday, Aug. 26. FILM SCREENING: “THE OTHER SON”