Singer-songwriters Kathy Muir and Susan Carson will play solo sets on Thursday, Sept. 7, at Best Video Performance Space. The cover is $5 and the show starts at 8 PM.
Soulful balladeer Kathy Muir conjures enlightened songs that paint vivid landscapes of her journey as she transforms elements of pop, folk, jazz and the blues into brand-new sounds. Her warm, playful voice glides through lyrics that unfold like the words of an inviting diary and are joined by ethereal guitar melodies and rhythms of an orchestra of other instruments that help tell the story of her well-traveled life. Muir’s fine-tuned skills as a songwriter and a photographer as well as her willingness to share personal perspectives and bold emotions enrich her intimate, multidisciplinary approach to her art.
Muir’s frequent collaborations with artists across media have allowed her to continuously evolve her work while extending the boundaries of singer/songwriter material into unexpected realms. Her new single, “Second Life” explores metamorphosis and change and celebrates her love of sweeping, dramatic ballads.
Raised in Edinburgh’s south side, Muir felt spellbound by the catchy folk hymns sung on Sundays at her local church as a young girl. Muir’s roots in spiritual songs stuck with her as she voyaged beyond Scotland, to France and ultimately Stamford, CT, where she now resides. Along the way, she has found her own inner voice as a songwriter and an organic approach that is inspired as much by her personal experiences as it is by her own boundless energy and pure imagination; the melodies flow through her, and she ties them together with delicate threads of chords and lyrics.
Susan Carson is a singer, songwriter and guitarist from Stamford, Connecticut. Throughout years of performing in the Midwest, New England, and stretching to the Southeast and Canada she has produced 2 full-length independent releases, has made appearances on local radio shows, showcased in music industry events and headlined festivals such as Undercurrents Music Showcase in Cleveland, Ohio and TAXI Songwriter Conference in Los Angeles, California.
Displaying an extremely dynamic vocal range, she delivers raw, personal original material as well as cover songs from a variety of genre. Carson’s original songs come from the internal struggle of emotion and reconciling one’s place in the world. A very muscular sound and presence on stage, Susan Carson is a professional performer who captivates audiences with intimate, honest songs delivered in a skilled and polished package.
Susan Carson is also an accomplished visual artist, specializing in expressive paintings and sketches of independent musicians.
UPCOMING EVENTS (Music events start at 8 PM unless otherwise noted; screenings start at 7 PM unless otherwise noted):
• Thursday, Aug. 31. INDIE ROCK: DISCO TEEN ’66
• Friday, Sept. 1. JAZZ: JEFF FULLER & TONY LOMBARDOZZI
• Wednesday, Sept. 6. ALT-COUNTRY: JUNEBUG SADDLE
• Thursday, Sept. 7. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: KATHY MUIR, SUSAN CARSON
• Friday, Sept. 8. INDIE ROCK: THE SAWTELLES
• Sunday, Sept. 10, 2-5 PM. GUITARTOWNCT FREE SUNDAY AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Monday, Sept. 11, 7:30 PM. INDIE ROCK: LEA, ALIEN BOY, PERFUME V, NECKLINE
• Wednesady, Sept. 13, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY BEST VIDEO OPEN MIC
Thursday, Sept. 14. ACOUSTIC SOUL: CHRISSY GARDNER & ROBERT MESSORE
• Friday, Sept. 15, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: ROB ICKES & TREY HENSLEY (GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTIONS)
• Wednesday, Sept. 20. BLUEGRASS: BAIT AND SWITCH
• Thursday, Sept. 21. ROOTS ROCK/GARAGE SOUL: BRONSON ROCK
• Friday, Sept. 22. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Wednesday, Sept. 27. INDIE ROCK: JELLYSHIRTS
• Friday, Sept. 29. FOLK: FLINT LADDER
• Saturday, Sept. 30. SINGER-SONGWRITER: JOHN GORKA (FERNANDO PINTO PRESENTS) Tickets available online at johngorkatickets.brownpapertickets.com
• Sunday, Oct. 1, 2-5 PM. GUITARTOWNCT FREE SUNDAY AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Thursday, Oct. 5. NORDIC/CELTIC FOLK MUSIC: GARY WIKFORS AND ANGUS MOSSMAN
• Friday, Oct. 6. INDIE ROCK/SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Wednesday, Oct. 11, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY BEST VIDEO OPEN MIC
• Friday, Oct. 13. FLASH FICTION: PAUL BECKMAN
• Sunday, Oct. 15. POWER POP: JOHN HARRISON & THE HARRISONICS
• Friday, Oct. 20. BLUEGRASS: MISSY RAINES & THE NEW HIP (GUITARTOWNCT PRODUCTIONS)
• Friday, Oct. 27. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: THE BOSSA NOVA PROJECT
• Saturday, Oct. 28. LIGHT UPON BLIGHT HALLOWEEN SHOW
• Saturday, Nov. 4. SOLO MODERN PRIMITIVE GUITAR: SHAWN PERSINGER
• Sunday, Nov. 5, 2-5 PM. GUITARTOWNCT FREE SUNDAY AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Wednesday, Nov. 8, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY BEST VIDEO OPEN MIC
• Thursday, Nov. 16, 7 PM. BLUEGRASS: TIM O’BRIEN (SOLD OUT!)
• Friday, Nov. 17. ROCK: HAPPY ENDING
• Saturday, Nov. 18. BVFCC ANNIVERSARY GALA AT THE BALLROOM AT THE OUTER SPACE
• Sunday, Nov. 19, 3 PM. JAZZ: TRIO 149
• Thursday, Nov. 30. BLUEGRASS: EAST ROCK RAMBLERS
• Sunday, Dec. 3, 2-5 PM. GUITARTOWNCT FREE SUNDAY AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Friday, Dec. 8. BLUEGRASS: TWISTED PINE (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Wednesday, Dec. 13, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY BEST VIDEO OPEN MIC
• Friday, Jan. 12, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: BEPPE GAMBETTA (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Friday, Mar. 16. BLUEGRASS: ZOE & CLOYD (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)