The singer-songwriters Jennifer Dauphinais (who records under the name Ponybird) and Christopher Bousquet will play the Best Video Performance Space on Wednesday, Jan. 29. The music starts at 8 PM and the cover is $5.
Influenced by the emotional roots of country, the confessional poetry of folk, and the spatial freedom of ambient and harmonic tones, Ponybird is the solo project of Jennifer Dauphinais, an evolving artist who translates something both introspective and infinite all at once. The heart of Ponybird is derived from a central singer-songwriter focus, with a tribe of players that satellite the work. This format allows the flexibility for booking the project as a solo, duo, or full-band performance.
Both home-recorded releases, Climb Yourself Up, and Full Cold Moon, were chosen as Top Ten Releases of the Year by the New Haven Register. Listening to Ponybird, puts the audience on the verge of discovering. A third release, Modest Quarters, which is being produced and recorded at Dirt Floor Studios in Chester, CT, is expected to be released in Spring 2014.
Chris Bousquet is singer-songwriter from Connecticut. He is the former leader of the internationally acclaimed High Lonesome Plains, and as well as the widely regarded Alligator Farmhouse. He has performed with such luminaries as Roger McGuinn, Miracle Legion, John Sebastian, Asleep at the Wheel, The Nields, Mark Mulcahy, The Turtles, Tim Easton, J. Geils, and Susan Cowsill.
The High Lonesome Plains rose to critical acclaim between 1999 and 2006, receiving airplay and garnering critical acclaim on four continents, Americana-UK called their 2002 EP Songs For Young Lovers, “one of the year’s best.” Rolling Stone writer and Australian DJ Stuart Coupe called it “the best thang to arrive in the mail for ages.” The lead track on the EP, “Brass Ring” was featured in the independent film The Box, the television show Witchblade and was included on 36,000 copies of a Magnet Magazine New Music Sampler.
New Haven Advocate writer Brian LaRue wrote, “Bousquet’s melodies pour out with folksy ease, his memorable choruses invite singing along, and his lyrics are smart without being show-offy.”
UPCOMING PERFORMANCE SPACE EVENTS:
• Wednesday, Jan. 29. INDIE ROCK: SOZIO
• Thursday, Jan. 30. PSYCHO-FOLK: MILKSOP: UNSUNG
• Wednesday, Feb. 5. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: JENNIFER DAUPHINAIS, CHRISTOPHER BOUSQUET
• Thursday, Feb. 6. CHORAL QUIRK POP: THE DRESS-UPS
• Wednesday, Feb. 12. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS PAT STONE
• Thursday, Feb. 13. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: BIG FAT COMBO
• Thursday, Feb. 20. BLUEGRASS: 5 IN THE CHAMBER
• Wednesday, Feb. 26. DECONSTRUCTING POP: THE LUCK PUSHERS
• Thursday, Feb. 27. SINGER-SONGWRITER POP: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Wednesday, Apr. 2. CLASSICAL: HAVEN STRING QUARTET
• Thursday, Apr. 17. ACOUSTIC ROCK: THE LONESOME SPARROWS