Happy Ending plays electric rock ‘n’ roll, mixing original compositions influenced by garage rock, folk rock and psychedelia—oftentimes with a political slant—with cover songs from the 1960’s and 1970’s.
Happy Ending has released three albums. The most recent, “Electricity for the Youth of Today,” was recorded live at Best Video Performance Space in December of 2013. The vinyl LP and 45 “Have A Nice Day” came out in 1984 and the compact disc “Smile for the Camera” in 1996. John Foster, editor of Op Magazine, described “Have A Nice Day” as a “future cult item for the collectors.” Hank Hoffman sings and plays guitar; Richard Brown plays guitar and alto saxophone. Tom Smith is on drums and Randy Stone plays bass. Happy Ending has a Facebook page.
Watch the band play their original song “Cityscape” at Cafe Nine in New Haven in January, 2014.
• Wednesday, June 11. LITERARY READING: ALICE MATTISON, SANDI KAHN SHELTON
• Thursday, June 12. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Friday, June 13. FOLK: ROBERT MESSORE
• Wednesday, June 18. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: SAMBELEZA
• Thursday, June 19. GARAGE POP/PSYCHEDELIC ROCK: HAPPY ENDING
• Wednesday, June 25. INDIE ROCK: MERCY CHOIR
• Thursday, June 26. ACOUSTIC GUITAR: PRESTER JOHN featuring SHAWN PERSINGER & DAVID MILLER
• Friday, June 27. PUNK ROCK: STARK RAVING LULU
• Sunday, June 29. BEST VIDEO FUNDRAISER
• Wednesday, July 2. ROCK: EXTRASENSORY
• Thursday, July 3. BUOYANT POP ROCK: THE FURORS
• Wednesday, July 9. CLASSICAL GUITAR: ORPHÉE RUSSELL
• Thursday, July 10. FOLK: THE HEATH SISTERS
• Thursday, July 24. PROGRESSIVE FOLK ROCK: KINDRED QUEER
• Thursday, July 31. ROCK: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Friday, Aug. 1. ELECTRO-ACOUSTIC: DAVID ELKIN-GINNETTI
• Wednesday, Aug. 13. INDIE ROCK: THE LYS GUILLORN BAND
• Friday, Aug. 15. POP/ART/PUPPETRY: POCKET VINYL, GLUMPUPPET