Rock ‘n’ roll group The Buttondowns and singer-songwriter Gary Heriot play Best Video Performance Space on Wednesday, Oct. 7. The music begins at 8 PM and there is a $5 cover.
The Buttondowns have been bringing their brand of retro-modern music to the Connecticut scene for the past three years. With one studio CD and one live recording under their belt, the band plays a tasty mix of originals and covers that you won’t hear anywhere else. If Elvis Presley was the fifth Beatle, they would sound an awful lot like The Buttondowns.
For this performance, The Buttondowns are Robert Obie (guitar and vocals), Daniel Farquharson (bass) and John Santarsiero (drums).
Gary Heriot considers himself a singer and songsmith. He has been a New Haven performer since the open mic nights at the Cape Codder in Westville in the mid-1980s. These days, he mostly finds an audience at Cafe Nine during Friday happy hours. He played in a band called “pome” for several years in the late ’90s. His musical tastes are highly pop-influenced. Heriot is a rhythm guitarist and an all around good guy.
• Thursday, Oct. 1. TRIP HOP: THE FOREST ROOM, HIP-HOP: CHEF THE CHEF
• Friday, Oct. 2. ROCK: HOLIDAY PING
• Monday, Oct. 5. FILM SCREENING: ELIHU RUBIN’S & ELENA OXMAN’S “ON BROADWAY”
• Wednesday, Oct. 7. ROCK ‘N” ROLL: THE BUTTONDOWNS; SINGER-SONGWRITER: GARY HERIOT
• Thursday, Oct. 8. SINGER-SONGWRITER: FRANK CRITELLI, BEN PARENT
• Friday, Oct. 9. JAZZ: THE JOVAN ALEXANDRE TRIO
• Wednesday, Oct. 14. INDIE ROCK: CHRISTOPHER MIR
• Thursday, Oct. 15. SOLO GUITAR/CD RELEASE: GLENN ROTH
• Friday, Oct. 16. TOURING SINGER-SONGWRITERS: LINDA WATERFALL, DEAN STEVENS
• Wednesday, Oct. 21. ROOTS ROCK: BRONSON ROCK
• Thursday, Oct. 22. GARAGE SOUL: ELISON JACKSON
• Friday, Oct. 23. ALT-COUNTRY: TANNERSVILLE
• Thursday, Oct. 29. SYNTH POP/ROCK: MISSION ZERO
• Friday, Oct. 30. HALLOWEEN SILENT FILM SCREENING WITH LIVE SCORE: LIGHT UPON BLIGHT
• Wednesday, Nov. 4. OLD TIMEY/SWING: THE ZuZAZZ STRING ORKESTRA
• Friday, Nov. 6. RAGTIME/BLUES: THE RED HOTS
• Friday, Nov. 13. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: SAMBELEZA
• Wednesday, Nov. 18. FILM SCREENING: THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (1962)
• Thursday, Dec. 3. AVANT-GARDE: JOHN MILLER