Comprised of guitarist Derek Holcomb and drummer Tom Dans—Holcomb sings lead and Dans harmonizes—The Furors have been playing together for over three decades. They have self-released numerous vinyl 45s, a vinyl LP and several compact discs. Their catalog is so beloved among local musicians that a tribute album, “Let’s Get Furious,” was released in 2003 featuring 38 Furors songs covered by 38 local musicians and groups.
The Furors’ music is joyful, quirky three-minute pop, like a cross between They Might Be Giants and early British Invasion rock ‘n’ roll.
Al Howard will open with a short set of his original music. Many years ago, in the Hartford Advocate, Dan Barry wrote, “His songs were stuffed with wit so dry that a stray ember might have lit a forest fire: ‘I made a peace sign for the President / He was dead / He had to find the top of his head.’ His songs were a feast for the eyes. Howard’s patterned, deliberate delivery gave listeners time to envision each of his lyrical paintings. ‘Al’s, like, this Zen songwriter,’ Peter Riccio [of The Sawtelles] whispered in my ear during Howard’s first set. And like the Zen painters who try to wring the most meaning from the fewest possible strokes, Howard left the bulk of his work to his listeners.”
UPCOMING PERFORMANCE SPACE EVENTS:
• Thursday, June 13. INDIE ROCK: THE MOUNTAIN MOVERS
• Wednesday, June 19. CABARET: RICH MORAN
• Thursday, June 20. INDIE POP: THE FURORS, AL HOWARD
• Wednesday, June 26. INDIE ROCK: THE JELLYSHIRTS
• Thursday, June 27. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: FRANK CRITELLI, MARK MIRANDO
• Wednesday, July 10. ACOUSTIC FOLK: SHELDON CAMPBELL
• Thursday, July 11. ACOUSTIC ROCK: JAMES VELVET & THE LONESOME SPARROWS
• Wednesday, July 17. INDIE POP: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Wednesday, July 18. CLASSICAL GUITAR: ORPHÉE RUSSELL
• Wednesday, Aug. 7. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: SAMBELEZA
• Thursday, Aug. 8. SINGER-SONGWRITER: ILANA ZSIGMOND