The Mountain Movers were started by Daniel Greene and Rick Omonte to keep up with Dan’s prolific songwriting. The band is based out of New Haven, Connecticut where they have a wealth of talented friends to help them perform and record their songs. Their sound can best be described as dreamy rock.
Always heartfelt, Greene’s ability to paint a picture with words is uncanny. Sonically, the band has a love for warm old tones, echoes, and tape hiss. This is apparent in their discography as most of their output was made on 2 inch reel to reel machines or 8 track cassette recorders.
The Mountain Movers are also known for their distinct visual style and their various releases feature Dan’s unique artwork (pencil/pen drawings, pastels, and watercolor paintings).
Recently the decision was made to create the band’s own record label, Car Crash Avoiders, further cementing the reputation they hold for a very hands-on ethos. They have played shows with Acid Mothers Temple & the Melting Paraiso UFO, Dinosaur Jr., MV and EE, Josephine Foster, Akron Family, Mark Mulcahy, Wolf Parade, and Cherry Blossoms. They have had banner reviews from Shindig, OMG Vinyl, Terrascope UK, and many other fine spots. New recordings are always in the works.
• Monday, Feb. 9. FILM SCREENING: “A LATE QUARTET”
• Wednesday, Feb. 11. JAZZ: BRETT BOTTOMLEY
• Thursday, Feb. 12. INDIE ROCK: HAPPY ENDING, LYS GUILLORN
• Friday, Feb. 13. BLUEGRASS: DUDLEY FARM STRING BAND
• Monday, Feb. 16. FILM SCREENING: “ABOUT SCHMIDT”
• Wednesday, Feb. 18. SINGER-SONGWRITER: ILANA ZSIGMOND
• Friday, Feb. 20. INDIE ROCK: THE MOUNTAIN MOVERS
• Monday, Feb. 23. FILM SCREENING: “CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS”
• Thursday, Fen. 26. BLUEGRASS: CHURCH SECTS
• Friday, Feb. 27. FUNK/ROCK: HOLIDAY PING
• Monday, Mar. 2. FILM SCREENING: “THE SWIMMER”
• Wednesday, Mar. 4. THEATRICAL READING: “COZY BEACH” by STEVE BELLWOOD
• Thursday, Mar. 5. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Friday, Mar. 6. JAZZ: NICK DiMARIA WiRED
• Monday, Mar. 9. FILM SCREENING: “GRAN TORINO”
• Monday, Mar. 16. FILM SCREENING: “NOW, VOYAGER”
• Thursday, Mar. 19. RAGTIME/BLUES: THE RED HOTS
• Friday, Mar. 20. ALT-COUNTRY: MERCY MEADOWS
• Monday, Mar. 23. FILM SCREENING: “UP IN THE AIR”
• Friday, April 3. AVANT-GARDE: ZERO DOLLAR
• Thursday, Apr. 9. 150th ANNIVERSARY OF APPOMATTOX/FOLK MUSIC: SHELDON CAMPBELL
• Friday, April 17. WPKN BENEFIT
• Friday, May 1. FILM FEST: “A DARK ROOM”
• Wednesday, Aug. 26. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS