The contra dance trio Wry Bred engages in joyful musical conversations with driving rhythms and exuberant harmonies.
With Julie Sorcek on flute and saxophone, Mickey Koth on fiddle, and Robert Messore on guitar, Wry Bred sensitively supports dancers and callers alike. The band was founded in 2009 and has been playing at dances, concerts, private parties, and other events ever since. They’ve developed a growing reputation and won the respect and admiration of dancers and music lovers throughout the area and beyond. The members of Wry Bred each bring years of experience as dancers and musicians.
Wry Bred has played for contra dances in Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts and, in 2011, with dance caller Bill Fischer, went on tour to North Carolina and Tennessee.
Julie Sorcek has been playing flute since she was ten years old, and has been off and running ever since. She added piccolo in college, and has had extensive experience playing with high school and college symphonic bands, and in the late ’80s and early ’90s with the Danbury Community Orchestra. She also plays saxophone and occasionally bodhran and recently began lessons on the fiddle. She is a founding member of Wry Bred.
Mickey Koth was a strictly classical player for the first 40 years of her life. Like Julie, Mickey began playing flute at age ten. As a music education major in college, she learned all the instruments, except double bass and tuba. Her favorites were the bassoon and trombone. At age 39, she started contra dancing and loved the music so much, she rented a violin for her 40th birthday and soon began studying with bluegrass fiddler and dobro player Stacy Phillips. Before the end of her first year playing, she had joined a pick-up band. She and John Kalinowski were the founding members of the contra dance and concert band Wild Notes. With her husband contra dance caller Bill Fischer she performs with Out On A Whim , a band of ever-changing membership that plays for family dances and contra dances as well as for special events.
Robert Messore plays guitar in Wry Bred. He has passionately devoted himself to the guitar for 30+ years. Voted Best Instrumentalist in a New Haven Advocate readers’ poll, Robert has been called the Heart of the New Haven Folk Scene for his vital and many-faceted contributions as solo performer, side man, recording artist, teacher and concert presenter (working on several concert series and the Connecticut Folk Festival). He also plays guitar and bass with soul/rock group, The Chrissy Gardner Band, and presents a weekly program called Toddler Tunes, which is the largest children’s sing-along in CT!
• Thursday, June 5. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: KATH BLOOM & TOM HANFORD, BOP TWEEDIE
• Friday, June 6. WORLD MUSIC/FOLK: DR. CATERWAUL’S CADRE OF CLAIRVOYANT CLAPTRAPS
• Wednesday, June 11. LITERARY READING: ALICE MATTISON, SANDI KAHN SHELTON
• Thursday, June 12. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Friday, June 13. FOLK: ROBERT MESSORE
• Wednesday, June 18. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: SAMBELEZA
• Thursday, June 19. GARAGE POP/PSYCHEDELIC ROCK: HAPPY ENDING
• Wednesday, June 25. INDIE ROCK: MERCY CHOIR
• Thursday, June 26. ACOUSTIC GUITAR: PRESTER JOHN featuring SHAWN PERSINGER & DAVID MILLER
• Friday, June 27. PUNK ROCK: STARK RAVING LULU
• Sunday, June 29. BEST VIDEO FUNDRAISER
• Thursday, July 3. BUOYANT POP ROCK: THE FURORS
• Wednesday, July 9. CLASSICAL GUITAR: ORPHÉE RUSSELL
• Thursday, July 31. ROCK: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Friday, Aug. 1. ELECTRO-ACOUSTIC: DAVID ELKIN-GINNETTI
• Friday, Aug. 15. POP/ART/PUPPETRY: POCKET VINYL, GLUMPUPPET