Olive Tiger and Michael Kusek play the Best Video Performance Space on Friday, June 26. The music starts at 8 PM and the cover is $5.
In early 2013, Olive Tiger emerged blinking from the ashes of Tallahassee-based gypsy folk group Two Live Tigers, when all members of said group found themselves in different corners of the USA.
Confused and lonesome, Olive returned to her home state of CT and was promptly buried under three feet of snow. The resulting insanity gave birth to a new direction for Olive Tiger, combining her gypsy folk roots with, rock, classical, & pop, creating an experimental expanse of sound linking influences from Andrew Bird, St. Vincent, tUnE-yArDs, and Joanna Newsom.
Combining cello, guitar, and voice, (frequently with a loop pedal), Olive currently sails to new territories while working on her debut album. Olive Tiger performs in a variety of configurations from solo to full-band setup, featuring Jesse Newman on violin and Dane Scozzari on drums. For this performance, she will play as a duo with Newman on violin.
Michael Kusek is a New Haven based singer songwriter who has until recently been known primarily as the lead guitarist of local folk-rockers Elison Jackson. Kusek’s solo material, while still being guitar based, is much more ambient, sometimes gentle, while exploring darker, even sinister tones and themes.
• Thursday, June 18: SILENT FILM with MUSIC: LIGHT UPON BLIGHT scores “THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI”
• Friday, June 19. BLUEGRASS: RAGWEED
• Wednesday, June 24. BRAZILIAN MUSIC: SAMBELEZA (CD RELEASE SHOW!)
• Thursday, June 25. CONTRA DANCE/FOLK: WRY BRED
• Friday, June 26. INDIE FOLK: OLIVE TIGER
• Wednesday, July 1. ART SONG: TWINS OF EL DORADO; JAZZ: WORK AND WHY WE DO IT
• Friday, July 3. BLUEGRASS: THE DUDLEY FARM STRING BAND
• Thursday, July 9. SINGER-SONGWRITER: CHRIS PETERS & BILL MILFORD
• Friday, July 10. INDIE SINGER-SONGWRITER: DEEPER SLEEPER, NATIVE SAGE
• Wednesday, July 15. JAZZ: THE ELLIGERS BROTHERS
• Thursday, July 16. STAND-UP COMEDY: RICH CYR & FRIENDS
• Friday, July 17. PIANO POP/PAINTING: POCKET VINYL
• Tuesday, July 21. ECLECTIC ACOUSTIC MUSIC: DR. CATERWAUL’S CADRE OF CLAIRVOYANT CLAPTRAPS with SPECIAL GUESTS
• Wednesday, July 22. ACOUSTIC ROCK: THE BIRDMEN (Former members of JAMES VELVET’S groups THE LONESOME SPARROWS & THE IVORY BILLS)
• Thursday, July 23. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: SHAUN BOWEN, KEVIN MF KING
• Friday, July 24. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: ANNE MARIE MENTA, SHELLYE VALAUSKAS
• Wednesday, July 29. CARIBBEAN/FOLK: THE LUKE RODNEY BAND
• Thursday, July 30. CABARET/CROONING/SPOKEN WORD: RICH MORAN & FRANZ DOUSKEY
• Friday, July 31. SINGER-SONGWRITER: SAMUEL BASS
• Thursday, Aug. 6. INDIE ROCK: ZOO FRONT
• Friday, Aug. 7. INDIE ROCK: MERCY CHOIR
• Wednesday, Aug. 12. ELECTRONIC IMPROVISATION: DAVID ELKIN-GINNETTI & DEREK PIOTR
• Thursday, Aug. 13. INDIE FOLK: KINDRED QUEER
• Wednesday, Aug. 19. FOLK: WALKINGWOOD MANDOLIN QUARTET
• Thursday, Aug. 20. INDIE ROCK: THE LYS GUILLORN BAND
• Friday, Aug. 21. BLUEGRASS: FIDDLE FOREVER
• Tuesday, Aug. 25. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Friday, Aug. 28. FILM SCREENING: “HEAD” (CT-PRODUCED LIVE PUPPET HORROR FEATURE)
• Wednesday, Sept. 16. COMEDY OPEN MIC WITH DAN CARRANO & DAN RICE
• Tuesday, Sept. 29. SINGER-SONGWRITER: HANNAH FAIR
• Wednesday, Sept. 30. SINGER-SONGWRITER: ANGELA EASTERLING
• Thursday, Oct. 8. SINGER-SONGWRITER: FRANK CRITELLI
• Friday, Oct. 23. ALT-COUNTRY: TANNERSVILLE