Guitarist Shawn Persinger plays a solo show at Best Video Performance Space this Saturday, Nov. 4. The music starts at 7:30 PM and the cover is $5.
Come celebrate the release of his mix media work – CD, Books, Art – “Halloween Baptizm.”
“Halloween Baptizm” – my new music, books, and art project – has finally been released!!!
The full package contains a CD (E.P.) of guitar quartet music, all parts performed by me; two books, a diary documenting the process, the other a notated transcription of the music; and wonderful artwork by both Maria Nicklin, who did the CD cover, transcription book cover, and poster, and Gonzalo Fuentes who did the diary cover and also contributed more than 20 amazing illustrations to the interior of the book.
Early listeners of the music have described it as the Kronos Quartet (if they played guitars) playing the music of Larry Coryell, Frank Zappa, and The Minutemen.
With a unique blend of acoustic folk, jazz, pop, classical, bluegrass, humor, and the avant-garde, Shawn Persinger has a sound that is entirely his own.
The Chicago Tribune once said of Persinger (who has performed under the name “Shawn Persinger is Prester John”), “Prester John has made a career out of balancing technical prowess with pop accessibility (and) a dash of punk-rock rawness.” One minute you’re hearing a pop/rock song in the tradition of Cat Stevens or Jack Johnson, the next you’re listening to music that could have been composed by Stravinsky or Frank Zappa. When it comes to traditional and mainstream styles Prester John’s authenticity is also difficult to match; their bluegrass repertoire sounds straight out of Appalachia (no doubt due to Persinger’s West Virginia roots) and their swing tunes recall the bygone days of The Hot Club of France. The ease and flexibility they display traversing and transcending genres is practically unheard of in this day and age (if ever).”
UPCOMING EVENTS (Music events start at 8 PM unless otherwise noted; screenings start at 7 PM unless otherwise noted):
• Wednesday, Nov. 1. OLD-TIMEY/BLUES: THE ZuZAZZ STRING ORKESTRA
• Thursday, Nov. 2. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: JOE MILLER
• Friday, Nov. 3. AMERICANA: FYFE AND STONE
• Saturday, Nov. 4, 7:30 PM. SOLO MODERN PRIMITIVE GUITAR: SHAWN PERSINGER
• Sunday, Nov. 5, 2-5 PM. GUITARTOWNCT FREE SUNDAY AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Wednesday, Nov. 8, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY BEST VIDEO OPEN MIC
• Thursday, Nov. 9. GREAT AMERICAN SONGBOOK: RICH MORAN
• Friday, Nov. 10. MODERN ROCK: NALANI & SARINA, CHASER EIGHT NAKED (PRESENTED BY AIM PRODUCTIONS)
• Saturday, Nov. 11, 7-10 PM (at ORDINARY tavern in New Haven): ART OPENING: “CREEPSHOW”—A BENEFIT FOR BEST VIDEO FILM & CULTURAL CENTER with art by AUDREY NEFORES & NICK HURWITZ-GOODMAN
• Sunday, Nov. 12, 7 PM. FOLK: MINK, SOCK & LUTIE
• Wednesday, Nov. 15, 7 PM. BLUEGRASS: TIM O’BRIEN
• Thursday, Nov. 16, 7 PM. BLUEGRASS: TIM O’BRIEN (SOLD OUT!)
• Friday, Nov. 17. ROCK: HAPPY ENDING
• Saturday, Nov. 18. BVFCC ANNIVERSARY GALA AT THE BALLROOM AT THE OUTER SPACE: 5 IN THE CHAMBER, OLIVE TIGER, NU HAVEN KAPELYE, THE TET OFFENSIVE
• Sunday, Nov. 19, 3 PM. JAZZ: TRIO 149
• Monday, Nov. 20, 7 PM. FILM SCREENING: “SON OF SAUL” (WITH TALK BY PROF. CHRISTOPHER SHARRETT)
• Friday, Nov. 24. ACOUSTIC ROCK: THE BIRDMEN
• Thursday, Nov. 30. BLUEGRASS: EAST ROCK RAMBLERS
• Friday, Dec. 1. JAZZ: JEFF FULLER & TONY PURRONE
• Sunday, Dec. 3, 2-5 PM. GUITARTOWNCT FREE SUNDAY AFTERNOON BLUEGRASS JAM
• Thursday, Dec. 7.ART SONG/SINGER-SONGWRITERS: OLIVE TIGER (SOLO), AN HISTORIC
• Friday, Dec. 8. BLUEGRASS: TWISTED PINE (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Saturday, Dec. 9. JAZZ/AVANT-GARDE: KLEPTOKRAT; WORLD MUSIC/FOLK: DR. CATERWAUL’S CADRE OF CLAIRVOYANT CLAPTRAPS
• Wednesday, Dec. 13, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY BEST VIDEO OPEN MIC
• Thursday, Dec. 14, 8 PM. JAZZ: PAUL SHANLEY
• Friday, Dec. 15. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: THE FURORS (CD RELEASE!)
• Thursday, Dec. 21. SURF MUSIC: THE CLAMS
• Friday, Dec. 22. HOLIDAY ROCK ‘N’ ROLL SHOW: DUST HAT, BRONSON ROCK
• Friday, Jan. 5. AFRO-FUNK/ELECTRONICS: ENERGY
• Friday, Jan. 12, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: BEPPE GAMBETTA (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Friday, Jan. 19. BLUES ROCK: VANGE DURST
• Friday, Feb. 9. BLUEGRASS: JOE WALSH & SWEET LOAM
• Friday, Mar. 16. BLUEGRASS: ZOE & CLOYD (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)