The Birdmen return to Best Video Performance Space the day after “Turkey Day” aka Thanksgiving. They play Fri., Nov. 27, at 8 PM. The cover is $5.
The Birdmen are Johnny Java (bass), John Lindberg (electric guitar), Johnny Memphis (vocals/guitar/fiddle), and Dick Neal (vocals/guitar/mandolin/banjo). All four are longtime musical collaborators of James Velvet, a beloved figure on the New Haven music scene who passed away this past April. They will carry on performing music either composed by James or associated with his many musical personas.
Johnny Java and Dick Neal performed with Velvet in his bands The Mockingbirds and The Lonesome Sparrows. John Lindberg played guitar with Velvet in the Ivory Bills; Java played drums in that group. Johnny Memphis, who played guitar and fiddle in The Lonesome Sparrows was a longtime collaborator with James Velvet.
• Wednesday, Nov. 18. FILM SCREENING: THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (1962)
• Thursday, Nov. 19. DARK FOLK: ELISA FLYNN; SOUL PUNK: AN HISTORIC
• Friday, Nov. 20. SINGER-SONGWRITER: SABRINA TRUEHEART
• Sunday, Nov. 22. FILM SCREENING/BLACK LIVES MATTER BENEFIT: “ANNE BRADEN: SOUTHERN PATRIOT”
• Friday, Nov. 27. ACOUSTIC ROCK: THE BIRDMEN
• Sunday, Nov. 29. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—FOUR BY STANLEY KUBRICK (“THE KILLING”)
• Wednesday, Dec. 2. SINGER-SONGWRITER: THE ANNE MARIE MENTA BAND
• Thursday, Dec. 3. ELECTRONIC: AVMUS
• Friday, Dec. 4. CLASSICAL: RAVENNA MICHALSEN & BETHANY WILDER
• Sunday, Dec. 6. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—FOUR BY STANLEY KUBRICK (“PATHS OF GLORY”)
• Wednesday, Dec. 9. JAZZ: THE THELONIOUS MONK PROJECT BAND
• Thursday, Dec. 10. BLUES/FOLK/COUNTRY: CODA BLUE
• Friday, Dec. 11. INDIE POP: THE SHELLYE VALAUSKAS EXPERIENCE
• Sunday, Dec. 13. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—FOUR BY STANLEY KUBRICK (“DR. STRANGELOVE”)
• Wednesday, Dec. 16. SINGER-SONGWRITER: BRIAN DOLZANI
• Friday, Dec. 18. PSYCHO-FOLK: MILKSOP: UNSUNG
• Sunday, Dec. 20. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—FOUR BY STANLEY KUBRICK (“BARRY LYNDON”)