Best Video Film & Cultural Center debuts “Reel Life,” a new monthly stand-up comedy show. Reel Life is hosted by Kendra Dawsey, a comic who also hosts a weekly open mic at Lyric Hall in Westville and has also performed at Best Video’s Second Wednesday Open Mic among other venues throughout New England. Cover is a sliding scale of $5-10—pay what you can within that range.
A smart and funny comic, Dawsey mines her life and relationships for great material.
Other comedians on the bill are Jimmy Blair, Chris Cyr, Monk Danger, Moseph Mussa and Pat Boyle.
The quick witted and in-your-face comedy stylings of Jimmy Blair are unprecedented. His riffs off the cuff are what what other comedians could only wish was their written material. The Baltimore native has wowed crowds all over the country and has left people always wanting more.
Mo Mussa is an up and coming comedian from Connecticut who has performed at the Hartford Funny Bone and Comix @ Mohegan Sun. He does comedy all over the East Coast. His delivery depends on his mood but either way he’ll leave you doubled over with laughter. While you’re laughing you might ponder, “what’s his problem?” He doesn’t know, and don’t ask him after the show.
Monk is a stand-up comedian from Chicago who has performed in Chicago, Ireland, and all over New England. Monk hosts the bi-weekly “Comedy At The Wheelhouse” show in Greenfield MA. She draws from her own experiences of dating and the exciting life of a bureaucrat to create her own quirky, original sense of humor.
Chris Cyr is a comedian who has already made a splash in the New England Comedy scene. He has performed at the Hartford Funny Bone, Broadway Comedy Club, and Boston Laughs. He brings his unique perspective to living in Bridgeport, parenting, and dealing with white people.
Pat Boyle is a stand up and sketch comedy performer from Stonington, CT. With his ridiculous observations as well as a whirlwind of energy, he’s entertained audiences all over New England with his eccentric storytelling style.
Kendra Dawsey is an up and coming stand-up comic who has performed in clubs and showcases in NYC and all over New England, including Stonewall Inn, Comix @ Mohegan Sun, and ImprovBoston. She was also a featured comic on the Sirius XM radio program Paid or Pain. Kendra garners humor from her identity and experiences by blending anecdote with higher concepts. Never too proud to laugh at herself, Kendra endears audiences by inviting them to laugh with her.
UPCOMING EVENTS (Music events start at 8 PM unless otherwise noted; screenings start at 7 PM unless otherwise noted):
• Tuesday, Oct. 9, 7 PM. BLUEGRASS: THE ELM CITY RAMBLERS
• Wednesday, Oct. 10, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY OPEN MIC
• Thursday, Oct. 11. SINGER-SONGWRITER: DAVID BROOKS, PETE RICCIO (of The Sawtelles, solo)
• Friday, Oct. 12, 7 PM. DEEP HAMDEN FESTIVAL: GOODNIGHT BLUE MOON, JUNEBUG SADDLE
• Saturday, Oct. 13, DOORS: 7:30 PM, MUSIC: 8 PM. DEEP HAMDEN FESTIVAL: ALLEN LOWE—A LOVE SUPINE (with ADAM MATLOCK, BENJAMIN SMITH, ESDRAS LUBIN, JEFF CEDRONE, BOB GORRY)
• Sunday, Oct. 14, DOORS: 6 PM, MUSIC: 6:30 PM. DEEP HAMDEN FESTIVAL: BRIAN JARAWA GRAY, LITTLE SILVER
• Tuesday, Oct. 16, 8 PM. COMEDY: REEL LIFE—A STAND-UP SHOW with HOST KENDRA DAWSEY
• Wednesday. Oct. 17, 7:30 PM. ELM CITY NOISE FEST: CARL TESTA, HOW MANY MIDNIGHTS, 4 AIRPORTS (NY), LIGHT UPON BLIGHT
• Thursday, Oct. 18. JAZZ: NICK DI MARIA QUARTET presents MR. MILLENNIAL’S REVENGE
• Friday, Oct. 19, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: MISSY RAINES & THE NEW HIP (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Sunday, Oct. 21, 2-4 PM. IRISH MUSIC JAM
• Monday, Oct. 22, 6 PM. GUITARTOWNCT MONTHLY EVENING BLUEGRASS JAM
• Tuesday, Oct. 23, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: THE BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS
• Wednesday, Oct. 24, 7:30. ROCK/PSYCHEDELIC: PHEOBE, SAP, THE LOST WEEKEND
• Thursday, Oct. 25. SOLO GUITAR: GLENN ROTH; SINGER-SONGWRITER: FRANK CRITELLI
• Friday, Oct. 26, 7 PM. ANNUAL HALLOWEEN SPECIAL: LIGHT UPON BLIGHT ENSEMBLE scores HORROR FILM
• Sunday, Oct. 28, 1 PM. PROF. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—A QUARTET OF NOIR (“THE KILLERS,” 1946)
• Sunday, Oct. 28, 7:30 PM. INDIE SINGER-SONGWRITER: FUST, KATH BLOOM
• Thursday, Nov. 1. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: PONYBIRD, MEGGIE CZEPIEL, RAQUEL VIDAL, MELISSA TALHEM
• Friday, Nov. 2. INDIE ROCK: LYS GUILLORN & HER BAND, ELISA FLYNN
• Saturday, Nov. 3, 7 PM. AMERICANA: TANNERSVILLE
• Sunday, Nov. 4, 1 PM. DEAN MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—A QUARTET OF NOIR (“OUT OF THE PAST,” 1947)
• Sunday, Nov. 4, 5-8 PM. GUITARTOWNCT MONTHLY SUNDAY BLUEGRASS JAM
• Monday, Nov. 5, 7:30 PM. TRIVIA 237—A BEST VIDEO MONTHLY TRIVIA NIGHT
• Wednesday, Nov. 7. IMPROVISATION: WEST STREET TRIO, FUCHSPRELLEN
• Thursday, Nov. 8. CLASSICAL GUITAR: MAX STEINHOFF
• Friday, Nov. 9, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: KENNY & AMANDA SMITH (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Sunday, Nov. 11, 1 PM. PROF. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—A QUARTET OF NOIR (“THE THIRD MAN,” 1949)
• Monday, Nov. 12. FILM SCREENING: NH DOCS—THE NEW HAVEN DOCUMENTARY FILM FESTIVAL & BVFCC PRESENT “PLAYING SOLDIER” with director ED GENDRON
• Tuesday, Nov. 13, 7 PM. FILM SCREENING: “REGARDING GRAVITY” (PRESENTED & WITH MUSIC BY SHAWN PERSINGER)
• Saturday, Nov. 10. BLUEGRASS: GEORGIA RAE, THE ANGRY O’HARAS
• Wednesday, Nov. 14, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY OPEN MIC
• Thursday, Nov. 15. SOLO AMBIENT PSYCH/INDIE ROCK: THE FOREST ROOM, BEN HECHT, EVELYN FLYNN GRAY
• Friday, Nov. 16. BLUES/ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: JOE MILLER & THE HIPSHAKERS
• Saturday, Nov. 17, 9 AM-10 PM. BVFCC ANNIVERSARY OPEN HOUSE CELEBRATION & FUNDRAISING EXTRAVAGANZA
• Sunday, Nov. 18, 1 PM. PROF. MARK SCHENKER: HOW TO READ A FILM—A QUARTET OF NOIR (“A TOUCH OF EVIL,” 1958)
• Tuesday, Nov. 20, 8 PM. COMEDY: REEL LIFE—A STAND-UP SHOW with HOST KENDRA DAWSEY
• Friday, Nov. 23, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: DAVID PETERSON (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Saturday, Nov. 24. JAZZ: JEFF FULLER & FRIENDS CD RELEASE PARTY
• Wednesday, Nov. 28. INDIE FOLK: CLARA ENGEL; ART SONG: AN HISTORIC
• Saturday, Dec. 1. BLUES/JUG BAND MUSIC: WASHBOARD SLIM & THE BLUE LIGHTS
• Monday, Dec. 3, 7:30 PM. TRIVIA 237—A BEST VIDEO MONTHLY TRIVIA NIGHT
• Wednesday, Dec. 5. BLUES: CODA BLUE
• Thursday, Dec. 6, 7:30 PM. SONGWRITERS IN THE ROUND: FRANK CRITELLI, RICHARD NEAL, BOB CSUGIE, MARK MIRANDO
• Friday, Dec. 7, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: HONEY DEWDROPS (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Saturday, Dec. 8. INDIE ROCK: AUDIO JANE, THE SAWTELLES
• Wednesday, Dec. 12, 7 PM. SECOND WEDNESDAY OPEN MIC
• Friday, Dec. 14. BRAZILIAN JAZZ: SAMBELEZA
• Monday, Dec. 17. ONE MAN SHOW: SAL ANNUNZIATO—PART OF THE FAMILY: A MOB CHILDHOOD
• Tuesday, Dec. 18, 8 PM. COMEDY: REEL LIFE—A STAND-UP SHOW with HOST KENDRA DAWSEY
• Friday, Dec. 21, 7:30 PM. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL CHRISTMAS SHOW: DUST HAT, BRONSON ROCK
• Thursday, Dec. 27. INDIE ROCK: NO IDEA, BONSAI TREES
• Sat., Jan. 5, 7:30 PM. BLUEGRASS: NATA SABAT/MARK KILIANSKI DUO; DAVID SASSO/KAT WALLACE DUO (A GUITARTOWNCT CONCERT)
• Friday, Jan. 11. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: ANNE MARIE MENTA, SHELLYE VALAUSKAS, LYS GUILLORN
• Thursday, Feb. 7. INDIE FOLK: PODUNK THROWBACKS