The music of husband and wife duo the Sawtelles is a balance of four elements: alternate-tuned guitar, stand-up drum kit (ala Velvet Underground’s Mo Tucker) and two voices. Sparse but intricately arranged pop that is as lush as it is threadbare makes what is played as important as what isn’t. Peter plays guitar and Julie plays drums; they both sing. Their sparse but intricately arranged pop is as lush as it is captivatingly unique.
The Sawtelles will be joined for this set by Best Video’s own Richard Brown—who also plays in Happy Ending—on guitar and sax.
Their self-produced DYI philosophy aligns them more with the hand painted Sun Ra LP’s of 1950’s and 60’s then it does with those striving for mainstream commercial success. They have released 6 CDs.
• Thursday, May 7. CLASSICAL/JAZZ: PETRICHORD—SAMUEL SUGGS & MOLLY NETTER
• Friday, May 8. INDIE ROCK: SPECTRAL FANGS
• Wednesday, May 13. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL: BIG FAT COMBO
• Thursday, May 14. INDIE ROCK: THE SAWTELLES
• Friday, May 15. ALT-COUNTRY: HEATHER FAY
• Monday, May 18. FILM SCREENING: “HEY BOO: HARPER LEE & TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD”
• Wednesday, May 20. SINGER-SONGWRITERS: JAY PRINCE, PATRICK DALTON
• Thursday, May 21. INDIE ROCK: JELLYSHIRTS
• Friday, May 22. ROCK: NOTHING SPECIAL
• Wednesday, May 27. BLUEGRASS: THE FIDDLEHEADS
• Thursday, May 28. SINGER-SONGWRITER: SETH ADAM
• Friday, May 29. SINGER-SONGWRITER: SABRINA TRUEHEART
• Thursday, June 4. AVANT-GARDE: ZERO DOLLAR, PARLAY DRONER
• Friday, June 5. STRING QUARTET ROCK: THE TET OFFENSIVE
• Monday, June 8. FILM SCREENING: “FINDING TATANKA”
• Friday, June 12. BLUEGRASS: THE WOOL HATS STRING BAND
• Thursday, June 18: SILENT FILM with MUSIC: LIGHT UPON BLIGHT scores “THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI”
• Friday, June 26. INDIE FOLK: OLIVE TIGER
• Friday, July 17. PIANO POP/PAINTING: POCKET VINYL
• Wednesday, Aug. 26. BLUEGRASS: STACY PHILLIPS & HIS BLUEGRASS CHARACTERS